another canister filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My emperor 400 is rated at 400 gallons per hour. Do I have to get a canister filter that is rated at least that to do the same job? Most of ones I see in my budget are rated between 175and 200 gallons per hour. Anything more then that, I would have to get a loan from the bank to buy one. lol

You can't count on any filter actually pumping at the rated GPH. What size tank do you have and what is it stocked with? You might not need something that is equivalent. Folks could give you some ideas on what would work out with that info.

Last edited:
I have a 55 gallon community tank. Danios,tiger barbs, a couple of golden loaches. All together about 13 fish.

One thing to think about is that even though the canister may not flow as much they do tend to have quite a bit more media in them.

IMO as long as you're turning over the volume of your tank at least 3 to 4 * an hour it should be sufficient flow I have a 75 gallon tank with a canister filter rated for somewhere around 500 gallons per hour but with media and foam getting debri in it the actual flow rate is probably a little less

They are on the higher end, but you don't need one that can pump 400 gph. They are also very well built, and silent. Often in this hobby you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom