Another planted 5 gallon hex! (4 pics, 404KB)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaysE

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK... well you don't see many of them, but here it is! It's an Eclipse Hex5 which comes with a built-in bio-wheel filter and a 10W compact flourescent. I added a pre-filter to the intake tube, a 25W heater, some Eco-Complete, and then went to town.

Plants are 3 small java ferns, anubias nana petite on the driftwood, and java moss on the other end of the driftwood. Initially, I placed some ludwigia repens as a background plant, but wasn't comfortable with the lighting for them and they didn't fill out the tank very well. These are in the first two pictures.

In the last picture, I replaced the l.repens with elodea, which I liked for a short while until they refused to root. The elodea grows like crazy, it just won't stay put in the substrate. I may replace them with wisteria or a similar bushy-leafed plant.

I also added 3 neon blue Endler's livebearers in the last pic, and there are a few ramshorns.

DSC03400.jpg

DSC03401.jpg

DSC03403.jpg

Very nice! I have the same tank on my desk at work and I love it....I was actually thinking of getting another one to upgrade my betta from a 2 gallon. Nice piece of driftwood, too!

Thanks! ^_^ The driftwood was an awesome find at my local LFS; it just barely fits in there.

I replaced the elodea with wisteria today. I'll have pics tomorrow after I tie down the anubias; it keeps floating off of the wood.

I'll have new pics soon, but do have a question... what would be a good red plant to go in here? The wisteria, anubias, and java plants are plenty of green, and the fish give a great blue color, but it definitely needs a little bit of red in there.

The latest pic... now with wisteria and a lot of snails.

Attachments

• 2006-11-12_125.jpg
    2006-11-12_125.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 279
Back
Top Bottom