Another question for new cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Once my cycle is completed, I will be moving my larger fish over to the new tank. They are mostly bottom dwellers, and would like to get something for the mid to upper tank. I would love to get a bunch of tiger barbs, maybe 6, but is there anything else I could put with them? I'm not really into gouramis and such. I like the more aggressive look like the tiger barbs and sharks. The eels just hide til dark. And the dojo's are pretty much bottom as well. Any other ideas to fill the emptyness of the mid to upper tank?

Don't want anything too small either. Was looking at maybe bleeding heart tetras or rummy-nose tetras. Maybe cherry barbs or gold barbs? Or maybe zebra danios or leopard danios? I know the tetras aren't too aggressive looking, but I want smaller, but not real small fish.

Ive never had luck keeping tiger barbs from nipping other fish.. Im not quite sure what would be a good defence for that.. Im thinking that (big) maybe if the barbs are in a school and the dannios (not the big ones the regular zebra ones) were in a school the danios might be fast enough to avoid the barbs.. From memory thought it seemed aggresive larger fish would scare them off.. like a electric blue jack dempsey maybe, this might be funny Im not sure.. :p

Tiger barbs and an electric blue? How about an electric blue and an electric yellow with barbs? I've never had these fish, might have to look into something like this. How will they be with the bottom dwellers? I don't want anything that will make a meal out of smaller bottom dwellers. ;)

I'm also looking at a pair of Firemouths or a pair of Convicts. If I did something like this, then I would just do some Tiger Barbs, and no other schooling fish.

I have Rainbows getting along with Tiger barbs. Cherry's don't. Danio's either. 5 seems to be a magic number for tigers. Less in-fight too badly and more become a "street gang".

Back
Top Bottom