Another Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oilpays

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I am looking at a 36 gallon bowfront.

I am very new to keeping fish but ive been reading about fishless cycling and I understand the nitrogen cycle.

As far as stocking goes I need fish that will be able to survive without me doing a PWC for 10 days at a time.

I would like to have a school(6-8) of some brightly colored fish (prob some sort of tetra), I like angelfish and all other types of cichlids, bala sharks.

I would like to be able to have a school swimming around and have a few larger fish as well...also any recomendations for some bottom dwellers to round it all out

I would like to have some live plants in there but im not sure i should get into that as this is my first tank

Any advice on what would work here would be appreciated.

Thanks, this site has been an awesome weath of knowledge for me so far.

JIM

Keep the stocking level on the lighter side and 10 days between PWCs shouldn't be a problem.

Avoid bala sharks. They'll get much to big for your 36g.

It's hard to go wrong with a school of cardinal tetras. Stick to rams or an angel if you want to go the cichlid route. A keyhole cichlid might work too. For the bottom, I'm partial to cories. A raphael cat would be good too.

Live plants aren't terribly difficult. Lighting is typically the limiting factor for beginners. If you can, avoid the stock hood with a single fluorescent tube. It's not good for much beyond seeing your fish. Get a glass canopy and look at a good T8 or T5HO fixture. Keep it between 1.5 and 2 Wpg to stay low-tech and still be able to grow a nice variety of plants.

Thanks, info on the lighting is the kind of stuff i need.

Low tech? money doesn't matter at all so would a "high tech" option be better?
Also what size filters should i use?

basically i want to get it all figured out and buy everything(minus fish) next weekend when im in town and start the cycling process> I am probably going to go with the shrimp method and hope my gf doesnt freak out because of the smell

High-tech planted tanks require good lights, CO2 injection, and a fertilizer regimen. It's a lot to take on when you're first starting. If you're willing to attempt it, more power to you.

When it comes to filters, I like to use filters rated for twice the volume of my tank. On my 40B I use an AC110. If you've got the money, look at canister filters. Fluval and Rena get good reviews around here.

Back
Top Bottom