Anubias in shade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batesy82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a large DW centerpiece for my 120g. I have had trouble getting anything to grow behind it because it is on an angle and blocks almost all light from reaching the plants.

Would anubias or anything work in this situation? I really don't care if it even grows just as long as it stays alive and green.

Shade / Low Light Plants

Hello Batesy...

Anubias, most of the ferns, like Java and varieties of Cryptocoryne and Singapore moss really likes lower ight. All these will do well in shade or low light. Dose a good liquid fert containing the standard micro nutrients and they'll grow relatively quickly and be nice and healthy.

B

Shade / Low Light Plants

Batesy...

One other thing, I use a couple of good liquids called "Earth Juice Grow" and "Earth Juice Microblast". Both are organically based and very good for your plants.

B

Thanks B,

I have a couple crypts in my tank already but they are not what I'm looking for in this area of my tank. I think I will give the anubias a try.

I'll post pics on my 120g thread when I pick them up.

Anubias may work there. What is your lighting? In a tank that deep with lower lighting, I'd suggest something that gets taller and deals with med-low light. Vals, swords, large crypts (plenty get to 24"), maybe some apons. The taller they grow, the higher the usable light will be for them.

HN1 said:
Anubias may work there. What is your lighting? In a tank that deep with lower lighting, I'd suggest something that gets taller and deals with med-low light. Vals, swords, large crypts (plenty get to 24"), maybe some apons. The taller they grow, the higher the usable light will be for them.

I don't have light in this area, that's the problem. My DW goes the full height of my tank on an angle front to back. The area behind the driftwood gets almost zero light, but I would like to have something back there to fill in the space. I'm hoping that if I try some 3-4in high anubias that they will survive. I don't even want them to grow just stay the same size and healthy and I'd be happy. It's a major pain in the *** to vacuum in this area; I'm sure pruning would be harder.

Back
Top Bottom