Anubias Nana Holes? (Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonlit87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. This is my first post, I just registered today.

My first aquarium has been running for about 3 weeks now. It's a 10g with real driftwood, anubias, and Java fern. I purchased Eco Complete substrate, because I originally planned on having plants that rooted in the substrate. I opted for Java fern and the Anubias in the end though. I cycled the tank with Ace ammonia. Nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia are all at zero.

So, my question is: What's causing the holes in my anubias nana? I thought at first that the darker green spots were algae. I tried to rub it off but it seemed to be the plant itself, which caused a hole in the place I rubbed. The other anubias looks very healthy. I added all three live plants three days ago. I purchased them from Petsmart.

Also, my fish stocking plan is this:

4 fancy guppies- I've added two so far
3 kuhli loaches
2 amano shrimp

Does this work? I've got very hard water, which I've read the guppies and shrimp will appreciate. I'm planning on 30% weekly water changes.

Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• SAM_1894.jpg
    SAM_1894.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 208
  • SAM_1895.jpg
    SAM_1895.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 174
Looks to me as if something has been eating on it. Those holes are too big to be nutrient deficiency. Seen any snails yet?

No snails at all. I just decided to snip off the "holey" leaves. The plant looks a little bare now, but I'm going to wait and see what happens. If the problem continues I'll just take it back to Petsmart.

yeah, see what the new growth looks like. Something was munching on them at some point is my guess.

Agreed with fort, are those older leaves?

See how clean your new leaves are, you never know until you see how well it grows in YOUR tank. Usually my leaves from the store are messy but everything else is fine after it grows in.

Back
Top Bottom