Anubias question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
My anubias has not gotten very big. I use leaf zone weekly and I dose liquid co2 daily. I do weekly water changes and keep the lights on 10 hours a day. Leaves that look sickly or discolored get clipped and new vibrant ones grow. Do they just stay small? I thought they were supposed to get huge. I also use Ecco complete soil. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are very slow growing & there are many kinds. I have a few petites. They stay small.

What kind of Anubias is it.
If you're not sure attach a photo and we will let you know just how big it can get.
I get a new leaf weekly with my Anubias batteri but it's been established for a long time.

On the big picture, it's the middle plant and the back-left one. Something I didn't mention is that this is a 10g tank. It was also good timing as my Betta posed in one pic and my amano shrimp in the other.

Looks like a barteri in the second picture and an afzelli in the third.
I've found that my barteri grows the best once it established itself on a log or in the substrate. In general Anubias are slow growers, so don't worry about them growing slowly, they can get quite large over a number of years. I find that if you want a bigger Anubias plant its best to buy a big one.

Anubias can get very big, but they grow very slowly in low light. In my low tech 20g I have very little growth. In my high tech 95g I had one anubia and it grew at least 5 times it's original size in one year. Here is a picture before I cut it in multiple parts.

img_3075571_0_b2dc81693f84909014b887217ac9971b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom