Any breed of kilifish who isn't a jumper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I love kilis but now all my tanks are planted and without lids. I love this open look of tank specially when they are planted and not big. A couple days ago i put a golden wonder kili and it committed suicide by jumping out. I see they are top level swimmers.

I got interested in clown kilis but read they are jumpers too. So i want to know if there is any kili kind which is not a jumper and not top level swimmer?

They all jump as a survival mechanism to move from kill to kill in the dry season

I can't think of any killies that wouldn't jump. In the wild they'd jump from water body to water body, trying to survive.

I only keep Aphyosemion australe, and they definitely stay towards the top, especially the female.

Another thing to remember is that a lot of these killies like room temperature water, around 70F.

American Flagfish -
All fish will jump but as far as Killies go the Flags usually stay in their tank . I started breeding these several months back. I keep them in an open top tank

On a side note Tunaman, are these what were recommended to me for algae control?

I have seen mixed reviews on their aggression & plant destroying habits how do you find them. About the only plants I keep right now are duckweed & hornwort mainly for fry hideouts until I can move them and they would be living with Aqorda Platys & Kribs

Back
Top Bottom