any help. snail pitting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteffeyJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello!
I have been keeping mystery snails for about a year and successfully bred them even. (ended up donating most to my LFS.)
but! I CONSTANTLY am adding calcium.
and my water is fine..
the only thing is the pest snails have gotten a little out of control...
can pest snails cause damage to my mystery snails shell??
it looks like pitting.. but calcium and PH is fine.. not acidic... I dont know what to do...
want to rid the pest snails, but dont want to hurt my mystery snails or nerites..
have just been manually removing them whenever I can..
and it feels never ending..
anyone have any other advice or tips??
would be greatly appreciated!
thank you!

Not pitting from the pest snails. Mysteries love to play, including climbing up to the top of things and falling off on purpose. Then they climb up and do it all over again. I've targeted this play plus their exploratory natures that get them jammed into too-small spaces, as the source of any pitting and discoloration in mine.

Manually removing the pest snails as you're doing is really the efficient way. But the question is, how did they come in? Where have they set up house and are breeding? A good place to start would be by removing your non-live plants and giving them a thorough washing under running water, feeling and squishing along the stems to remove any possible hitch hikers. If you have live plants, just the feeling and squishing inside the tank. You'll probably stir things up, so a good time to do this would be before a water change.

Back
Top Bottom