Any idea what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
About a week to 10 days ago I start noticing most of the plants were getting this brownish/blackish color/stuff on them (pictures below). Is it some sort of algae?
The light use to be on from morning till night a good 10 to 12 hours, but after researching I have cut it down to 6, is that too little, still too much, enough? On the recommendation of LFS I have used Seachem Flourish Tabs about 2 weeks ago, before I noticed this problem. Are these tabs ok or is there a better way to feed the plants?
The setup is a 45 Gallon tank, with Eheim 2215 filter, a single 24” 17 watts T8 10000k bulb in the hood/cover that comes with the tank. Also using Seachem Flourite for substrates.
My last set of reading (yesterday) was PH 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 (use API master test kit), tap reading PH 7.6 (dark blue) and 7.4 high range ph, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.
Any idea what is causing this? Is it normal or should I be worried?

Thanks
Rick

Attachments

• photo10.jpg
    photo10.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 70
  • photo11.jpg
    photo11.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 75
  • photo13.jpg
    photo13.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 75
  • photo14.jpg
    photo14.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 67
Looks like a form of algae, I had that on my fake plants, I fed less and got a snail and it disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom