Any Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvanderborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've started restocking my 25 gal reef. So far I have 1 leather coral and 1 zooanthid colony about a dozen snails including margaritas cerths and nassarius an emerald crab a brittle star a baby yellow tail blue tang (about 2in) and a neon dottyback. Ill eventually move the tang to my 55 when its up and running but what other small fish can the dottyback go well with? I was thinking a six line but other than that I got no ideas... any suggestions?

If you have a blue tang in a 25 or even in a 55g then you have more upgrading to consider. I wouldnt put another fish in that tank til the tang is out. :)

i don't mean to belabor the point, really, but even a 55g is too small by a long shot for a blue tang. I'm not being flip or over reactive either, it really is too small. ;-)

For the time being he should be fine but i would seriously think about what you intend to do with the fish. It stinks I know but it has to be said.

I have my blue tang in a 125g 6 foot tank and i worry that it's not big enough. lol

In all honesty the tang need more space than most people think also they need high water flow and a good diet to stay healthy. Keeping even a baby tang in a 75 gallon tank is a bad idea because of stress related diseases.

If I found a fish wasn't going to have a good quality of life in my tank I would find a new home for it.

Neon dottybacks are very aggressive and territorial so finding a tank mate to stick with it now may be a challenge. Neon Dottyback | Pseudochromis aldabraensis | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums

As saltwater newbies we got started with a 55gal and all I ever wanted from the beginning was a yellow tang. ... and we thought we had read enough to satisfy us that he would be ok in our 55gal. However, the more we read and the more advice that was given, we realized how wrong we were. It broke my heart to think about getting rid of my tang (who is still pretty small). So, we got on Craig's list and found an awesome deal on a 125gal that we are now in the process of setting up :)
Please do consider it. We found a 6ft 125gal with stand, VHO lighting set up and about 70lbs of base rock for $150.00 !!!!!

So the other day I found my tang brutalizing my dottyback. He was **** near dead. I got him in a breeder basket and he's swimmin around but won't eat. I think I'm gonna lose him and it sucks but that's what I get for jumpin into things.

Back
Top Bottom