any suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pluk1992

Aquarium Advice Activist
which would you suggest i have about 25 20 lbs of live rock and am thinking of order an case of 45 lbs and splitting it with a pal would you get that or would it be better if i get a protein skimmer first it a 35 gal fo tank so any advice would be gratly appreciated i want to lower the nitrate levels as far as possible which would be better

Is the tank already set up?

Do a water change to lower your nitrates. Other than that it's your call really, on a tank that small some people would say you don't even need a protein skimmer.

I'd probably get the rock if I were you, but that's just me though.

thanks thats what im leaning towards the rock will look better and water changes dont seem to help the water has very little nitrates when i test it from the tap its barley on the charts nothing is working

do a WC that's 50%

if you change 50% of the water you loose 50% of the nitrates.

I would go for more rock first, as long as it is a good quality. You shoud still plan on skimmer down the road. What is your current NO3 level at? You should try to find the source of the high NO3 in order to get it at an acceptible level ong-term. Over-feeding and over-stocking are the two biggest causes, tap water can also be a contributor. Doing a 50% water change on a 35gal tank could possibly cause problems. I suggest more frequent 20% changes using a good quality RO/DI water. Do changes every four or five days until you see a decrease in NO3. The addition of more LR will certainly help with this issue (as will a skimmer). I would go for the LR first.

i only have two clowns and a blenny i dont feed them very much at all every other day ill pour some brine or multi pack with squad and other such stuff just a little hardly any reach the sand thats it my nitrate s are about 50ppm and my tap water has about 5 ppm i cant for the life of me get them down

i only have two clowns and a blenny i dont feed them very much at all every other day ill pour some brine or multi pack with squad and other such stuff just a little hardly any reach the sand thats it my nitrate s are about 50ppm and my tap water has about 5 ppm i cant for the life of me get them down

Back
Top Bottom