Anyone have experience with freshwater clams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaponicpaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
So these guys have been doing pretty well for me. I started with 30 and in a years time I have lost only one.

Is there anyone else out there who are keeping clams? Has anyone heard of them breeding within the aquarium?

They are obviously eating, But I have one that has grown by leaps and bounds more than the others. Has anyone heard of any type of supplement food that is mollusk friendly?

Attachments

• IMG173.jpg
    IMG173.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 100
Where did you get those? I've been thinking about getting some for a new tank I'll be building soon.

If you could post your tanks specs (plants, feeding, filter, size, temp, ect) I would appreciate it. I also would like to get some but am afraid of on edying and killing my fish with a massive ammonia spike. From what I have read about Gold clams (the only freshwater aquarium plan I know of right now ((though your look different))) are extremely extremely hard to breed.

Where did you get those? I've been thinking about getting some for a new tank I'll be building soon.

a lot of poeople sell them online. from the sounds of it they are as common as our local waterways. I hear that they are an invasive species and you can gather them from almost any lake/river.

If you could post your tanks specs (plants, feeding, filter, size, temp, ect) I would appreciate it. I also would like to get some but am afraid of on edying and killing my fish with a massive ammonia spike. From what I have read about Gold clams (the only freshwater aquarium plan I know of right now ((though your look different))) are extremely extremely hard to breed.

Well my tank has mostly been coldwater and filterless. I've been trying different things lately (heater/sponge filter). heard about the ammonia spike. I just try my best to keep them all centrally located. and then I dig them up every few weeks. eventually they will bury themselves. The one that did die was swiftly eaten by the shrimp and Ramshorn snails.

ah ok thanks! I have seen their shells in a creek/stream behind my house.

Back
Top Bottom