Anyone have pics of a low light, low tech planted tank WITH gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am thinking turning my 4 foot tank into a low tech planted tank. Its got low light LED, and course gravel (3mm to 6mm)

I would like to see what other people have done with this scenario, and I may follow if its easy.

Please also post full tank equipment specs if possible, and if you dose any root tabs or liquid ferts.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This tank is no tech, aka the Project Tank. Organic potting soil capped with gravel, rooted and floating plants, no heater, no filter, no light, no ferts.

img_3187825_0_7be8e6cacc7bdcc851de82516f3b4349.jpg

Hello,
Thanks for the pictures. I was hoping to see something more lush and green. Im guessing its probably not possible with this setup.

Mine hasn't been set up for that long and again it's no tech with no ferts. Along those lines though do a Google search for Walstad tanks or el natural, people have absolute jungle tanks going with no tech!

Hello,
Thanks for the pictures. I was hoping to see something more lush and green. Im guessing its probably not possible with this setup.

It is possible, it just takes a long long long time because low light plants are slow growing.

Does anyone have pics of established tank with success?

Oh wow!! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Very nice.
Could you please write out all the tanks specs and equipment you have?
Thanks

Oh wow!! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Very nice.
Could you please write out all the tanks specs and equipment you have?
Thanks

It was a 55g grown with a dual t5ho aquatic life fixture. EI ferts and my DIY root tabs along with 20mL of excel daily. Black diamond blasting sand substrate

So everyday you added liquid ferts?

Yessir. Thats what you gotta do when you crank the light level. It wasnt a big deal, i just did it when i fed the fish.

For low light, what would be needed in ferts? (Tabs and liquid)

Thank you so much Mebbid!
Very helpful.

Alex, that link you gave was also very helpful. Gives me an idea of what I need.
Do you have a picture of your tank? Is it low tech?

Yeah low tech. Looking to change/remove/add stuff hard scape and plants. Ugh it won't let me upload. I guess I'm outa space

29g Community

3g Betta

Ugh! Wish I could see it. Sounds great.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426957617.096054.jpg

Mine. Low tech - aqueon led modular light. Added 2 color max bulbs.

It's bigger pea polished gravel. I dose root tabs under my sword and once in a while liquid ferts and flourish. I just haven't don't either liquids in like a month?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426957768.929103.jpg

20long. It just has the light that came with it. All I do in that one is throw a root tab under the sword

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom