anyone keep any aquatic snakes lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most aquatic of snake species are generally (highly) venemous (Crates, Seasnakes).

I had a couple of water snakes back when I was in college. They lived in a dry aquarium, and were fed with live goldfish in a large water bowl. The larger one was blind in one eye, and would strike if you came at him from that side. The smaller one wasn't nippy unless it was getting ready to shed, and the skin over the eyes was cloudy. The species has a reputation for being bad-tempered, but I didn't see much difference between them and any other snake. I have also kept black ratsnakes, a black racer that would bite/chew every time it was handled, garter snakes, Eastern milk snakes (very docile, never tried to bite, even when first caught), a boa constrictor, and a burmese python.

I suppose it'd be just a step beyond keeping rays and other somewhat dangerous fish as well I guess (and yes, I know, rays don't attack humans unless they're molested or stepped on by them but I still wouldnt risk it :p). People keep indoor 'dangerous' snakes like constrictors...I personally think you'd be crazy to keep venomous water snakes but thats just 'cause I'm a scaredy cat :p lol

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing to wake up to, a missing venomous snake loose in the house. No thanks. 8O

After having several non-venomous snakes escape, a couple that were never found, and a few that were, I would NEVER keep anything dangerous to people or pets in the house. It only has to happen once...

My gfs dad keeps a 50" rattlesnake in a cage in his house. Crazy if you ask me but it is wicked looking.

Nik

bs6749 said:
hc8719 said:
squawkbert said:
The most aquatic of snake species are generally (highly) venemous (Crates, Seasnakes).

...cottonmouthes

I don't think cottonmouths are TRUE aquatic snakes.

There are no truly aquatic snakes. Sea snakes & some crates live in the ocean full time, but they're like sea turtles... they breathe air and lay eggs somewhere at least somewhat dry. (I don't consider a species to be aquatic unless it can "breathe" water - frogs, fish...).

aoplayo said:
Frogs breath through their skin and must keep it moist. They never breathe water except tadpoles.

i dont know how true that is, i know "aquatic frogs" like ADFs and ACFs come surface for air, with their mouths, and im sure regular frogs use their mouths to breath, otherwise they wouldnt need lungs if air just dissolves into their skin.

i think frog skin is pourous, and thats why chemicals seep into their skin and kill them, and why dirty water is bad

niks93gt said:
My gfs dad keeps a 50" rattlesnake in a cage in his house. Crazy if you ask me but it is wicked looking.

Nik
prob. for all those boy freind he doesnt like LOL so watch out!

I hate snakes, end of story LOL

squawkbert said:
bs6749 said:
hc8719 said:
squawkbert said:

...cottonmouthes

I don't think cottonmouths are TRUE aquatic snakes.

There are no truly aquatic snakes. Sea snakes & some crates live in the ocean full time, but they're like sea turtles... they breathe air and lay eggs somewhere at least somewhat dry. (I don't consider a species to be aquatic unless it can "breathe" water - frogs, fish...).

As others have pointed out, frogs don't breathe water except when they are tadpoles. Also, I consider an aquatic species one that spends MOST of its time in the water and has adaptations that allow it to better suited for an aquatic environment.

Saying that something isn't aquatic because it cannot "breathe" water is not a very good definition of the term aquatic in my opinion. Take a look at dolphins, whales, porpoises, manatees, and other animals that have lungs and live in the water and think of how many times you have seen one on land. Maybe on television where they have beached themselves, but then how long do they last? They are TRUE aquatic species and are designed to be in the water and not on land.

Back
Top Bottom