Anyone own a Zebra Plec?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll be starting a new tank this summer and would like to stock it with Zebra Plecs (hypancistrus zebra). I would like to know what everyone thinks about them. They definately look cool.

they are lovely... but they range from 125-250 $ locally by me if you can find them.... there are some lovely one ssimiliar to zebras

ill settle with a king tiger pleco or something.. zebras are too much, especially for a fish that small.

I have never seen a True Zebra Pleco in person. They are rare finds. The exportation of the Pleco from Brazil is no longer allowed. Thus the pleco's that you find nowadays are more expensive because they are tank bread in the US. If you can get ahold of some, I'd try to breed them. You could make some big bucks from that.

They are somewhat particular about water conditions, and at an average of about $150 each, that could be a fair gamble. Aside from that, they are more carnivorous than many plecos, like some current, and are very rewarding (especially if you can get 6+ of them and successfully spawn them).

Wow. That breaks my heart. But also gives me a few good ideas. When I have the money.

So what else would you guys recommend? I wan a cool plec, but one that also cleans too. I know some of them out there aren't all that great for the cleaning process.

IMHO they are overrated. They are hiders. You will NEVER see them. I've seen planted tanks with over a dozen of them in there and you had to work REALLY hard to just to find ONE.

There are dozens of other brightly colored fancy plecos available. Take a look at all the different peckolitas that Live Aquaria sells for instance.

Back
Top Bottom