Anyone use a "Water Changer" in a Shallow Sink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to buy a water changer and was comparing the Aqueon Water Changer and the Python. The Aqueon is a better value, however, the Water Flow Control Valve Assembly is really long. It would fit in the kitchen sink but there's a water filter connected that I don't feel like removing and putting back on each time I want to use the water changer.

However, the bathroom sink is just as close to the aquarium, but the bathroom sink is much shallower. I'm just wondering if anyone has used a Python in a bathroom sink? The bathroom sink also seems to have less pressure than the kitchen sink, not sure if that will pose a problem?

Thanks!

The main issue with them in my experience is that the sink tends to be to high to get my water level as low as I'd like since the siphon will only take the eater level down to as low as the outlet of the python.

Hmmm, my bathroom has more pressure than my kitchen and I prefer to use my bathroom sink because of this. Also, if your faucet has an aireator screwed into it like all faucets normally do, when you unscew that to screw your water changer onto it you get more waterflow which also means more suction. I only need 6 inches from the faucet down for mine to fit. I would also like to mention that I have the aqueon water changer.

Here is mine all ready to get down to business lol
Sorry for the double pic

ForumRunner_20130126_192405.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130126_192342.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130126_192342.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 125
Sweet! Only 6" is needed in depth from faucet to drain for the Aqueon model? I'll have to measure when i get home. I assembly unit looked longer... Thanks for the info and pic!

No problem. Yes, once everything is screwed into place its only 6 inches from faucet to bottom of valve assembly. Like I said, this is with the aireator unscrewed from the faucet because the adapter that comes with the aqueon water changer needs the aireator unscrewed for the adapter to screw into the faucet

I don't know why people both with this type of water change thing

Just buy a bigger hose say 2" it drains the tank water in half the time then fill from a garden hose

No problem. Yes, once everything is screwed into place its only 6 inches from faucet to bottom of valve assembly. Like I said, this is with the aireator unscrewed from the faucet because the adapter that comes with the aqueon water changer needs the aireator unscrewed for the adapter to screw into the faucet

I'm a little worried because the Aqueon site says that the Flow valve is 4" x 1.5" x 9.6"... where do you get the 6" from?
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/water-changer.htm

I have no idea where they are getting them measurements from. Here's mine with a tape measurer beside it. Oh and sorry I told you 6 inches but its really #little under 6 and a half inches

ForumRunner_20130127_093158.jpg

Oh and their websites gotta be wrong because with the link you provided me, click back on it and look at the dimensions on the 18" tube that's right above the valve assembly. Lol, somethings not right with their tape measurer, not mine haha

Wow that's really strange! Really bad measuring errors on their behalf. I was considering the more expensive Python simply because the indicated measurements showed it was smaller... But you helped correct their error.

Anyway, you've been very helpful - especially with the pictures and (correct) measurements.

Thank you!

I've used both water changers and prefer the python but both do a good job. I also use mine in a bathroom sink and it works out well. I also remove the bottom stopper from the sink when I use the thing and it helps with drainage. Not all sinks need to have the stopper removed but it isn't a bad idea to have someone watch the sink the first couple of times you use the water changer just in case. I find that if you tie a washcloth around the top of the sink connection it makes it a lot less messy when you're filling the tank and shut off the flow from the tank side ball valve. Sometimes the back pressure can cause the connector to spray a little water around the sink area.

I've used both water changers and prefer the python but both do a good job. I also use mine in a bathroom sink and it works out well. I also remove the bottom stopper from the sink when I use the thing and it helps with drainage. Not all sinks need to have the stopper removed but it isn't a bad idea to have someone watch the sink the first couple of times you use the water changer just in case. I find that if you tie a washcloth around the top of the sink connection it makes it a lot less messy when you're filling the tank and shut off the flow from the tank side ball valve. Sometimes the back pressure can cause the connector to spray a little water around the sink area.

I've actually stopped using the piece attached to the sink to change flow back and forth. Now I just thread the hose right to the sink which keeps from having the back pressure issue and fills the tank much faster. Only problem is its kind of a 2 man job this way unless you wanna rub back and forth haha.

CorallineAlgae said:

I never use the valve on the tube part. I only use the valve on the valve assembly.

aaronjohn20 said:
I never use the valve on the tube part. I only use the valve on the valve assembly.

Darn straight! lol I avoid using it too if I have somebody around to turn off the water or open the bell at the sink. When it's just me the washcloth actually works out better than you'd expect. It stops the sink valve from making any mess. Everybody has their own workable way of using these things. I just figured since I always dirty a cloth wiping up a bit of water anyway it would be easier to put the cloth right at the splashy connecter to start with. At least when my little helper isn't around. ^_^

I just close the top on the aquarium with the water changer still filling and walk over to the sink and turn the water off. Then I walk back to the tank, take the water changer out, flip the valve at the sink and turn the water back on to siphon all the water out of the line. Yes its easier with two people, but not needed

I just close the top on the aquarium with the water changer still filling and walk over to the sink and turn the water off. Then I walk back to the tank, take the water changer out, flip the valve at the sink and turn the water back on to siphon all the water out of the line. Yes its easier with two people, but not needed

+1 agree here...I do the same

This is a little off topic but can you use one of these to fill a tank In a basement from a faucet upstairs? I've always wanted to get one but I didn't know if it would work or if it was even compatible with the sink

Back
Top Bottom