Api test kit and fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G_matto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just started my first fishless cycle yesterday and I have a random question.

I've added two capfuls of ammonia to the tank (20g) last night and this morning I took my first reading. Now with the API master test kit, I'm sitting somewhere in the grey area between 2ppm and 4ppm.

Should I add more ammonia to try and bring it up to a more defined reading of 4ppm or should I let it stay where it's at?

Thanks for any help!
~Greg

Hi Greg,

I'm new to this game as well and in the process of doing my own fishless cycle. from what i have read 4ppm is about right but it would sound at anything from 2 to 4 is fine and not really worth splitting the hairs. the big thing to watch out for is a change in levels which should show your bacteria is working/ feeding!

I'm sure someone else will jump in and correct me.

I have cycled a few tanks and agree. The point is to keep a steady amount of ammonia in there to feed the bacteria without going too high which can stall the cycle. You are at the beginning of a very long waiting game. It takes a long time for ammonia to drop at first, so be patient.

If you know the '%' of your ammonia, you can use this handy calculator to get an exact dose of ammonia to bring your level precisely to 4ppm.

Calculator

Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna just wait till I get below 1ppm and crank the ammonia back up. This time it should be a little more exact. Thanks again for all the help!
~Greg

Back
Top Bottom