Aponogeton as background plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read that Aponogeton make nice background plants but I've also read that you have to remove them from water and store their bulb in dry conditions every 6 to 8 months. This seems really difficult to do in an established planted tank. It also makes the tank ugly when you rip out all the background plants. Is this all true?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've read that Aponogeton make nice background plants but I've also read that you have to remove them from water and store their bulb in dry conditions every 6 to 8 months. This seems really difficult to do in an established planted tank. It also makes the tank ugly when you rip out all the background plants. Is this all true?

They will go dormant. Sometimes they don't come back. I just buy new bulbs. Never have removed them though. I think that I wouldn't use them for the whole background, just a corner or accent. They are neat though.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll steer clear. Too much hassle.

Not all need or go through dormant periods. Just do research on the type you want before buying. I've had a Madagascar Lace in one tank for over 5 years. Plus you can look into some of the tall species of crypts, such as Balinese Crypts as well as Swords.

Thanks for the tip. The dry bulbs seem hard to find, except for the ones sold as "betta bowl plant bulbs" which I find odd since they grow over 2 feet long and betta bowls are not exactly spacious.

Back
Top Bottom