Apple Snail eggs everywhere! again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotsofbabies

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, so my precious Apple Snails are laying eggs everywhere again...

none of our local pet stores have assasin snails....

how will I get rid of all the eggs?? they are really sticky so just taking them off isn't working...

local pet store do not want to buy them, because they are scared of diseases...

help?

You can order some assassin snails of eBay. I see them there all the time.

Do you have a female and male?

Then that is what is going to happend.

Move the other snail then they wont lay eggs everywhere.

However i have heard females lay eggs even if there isnt a male!

assassin snails will target other snails close to thier own size. I haven't know assassins to eat eggs.

Fishy Aston said:

Aren't almost all snails hermaphrodites?

Some are, some aren't.

The assassins will eat cory eggs, they would probably eat snail eggs as well.

I have two males and two females, apart from the babies which are too small to see their sex yet... and of course the new babies that are minute!

I'll have to split and rehome most. I have two 25l tanks and 1 40l tank, thus getting crowded for poor guppies :banghead:

Here's some pics of the egg cluster.

I removed from glass (yuck! slimy!) and then broke it into the tank water, but no-one seems to be eating them... :banghead:

Attachments

• 095 resized.jpg
    095 resized.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 098 resized.jpg
    098 resized.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 85
to get rid of some of them you can put up an ad on this site in the classified section... please sell them and buy the frequently, at least that's what I've observed.. or try find a different pet store near you

if you crush the eggs your fish are more likely to eat them just be careful about leaving them in there too long the can and will murk up your tank. there are a few DIY snail traps if your really overrun i have had success with them

if you crush the eggs your fish are more likely to eat them just be careful about leaving them in there too long the can and will murk up your tank. there are a few DIY snail traps if your really overrun i have had success with them

I did crush them, but the guppies are just not interested.

One of the other adult pair of apple snails DID however, eat most of the eggs, the rest I scooped out with a teaspoon and flushed down the loo.

The best part is that yesterday afternoon, we get home from beach and another cluster is being laid by the same female! I don't want to know how many eggs she still has inside!! And it was a bigger cluster than the previous one.

The other adult female apple sail's eggs are tiny and few-and-far-between on the seams of the tank. Hopefully all are infertile!

:hide:

Back
Top Bottom