Aptasia and corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Over the weekend I cleaned the tank to include the sump/fuge. Unfortuantely I found aptasia in my grape calpura in the fuge. I removed the calpura and am counting on my pepermints to keep the main clean.

To my horror tonight I found a rather large aptasia right in the middle of my button polyps creating a rather large hole. Not sure what to do I hit the aptasia with some lemon juice via an eye dropper. It seemed to do the trick.

Question is can the lemon juice have a residual affect on the corals? If so what other methods of eradication are there should I find more?

So far the polyps do not seem any worse than what they were.

TIA,

I dunno about the lemon juice having any residual effects on corals, I personally have never tried it. I would have been concerned about the acids in the lemon juice affecting something.. However, alternative solutions can be giving the aptasia a direct shot of Kalk.. Or better yet, picking up some Joes Juice at the LFS.

With dosing just one you will be fine. If dosing larger numbers it will affect PH since it is "acid".

IME aiptasias will scoff at lemon juice lol-even when injected w/ a needle. I've also tried Alk buffer w/ only temporary results in individuals. FWIW I've heard Joe's Juice will do the trick, but I have not tried it yet.

Thanks for all the help. The link was great Hara. Good point on the PH. So far I have only hit 3 in the main. The primary culprit in the polyp colony seems to have vanished.

I will plus up my pepermints by 3 this weekend. 1 in the fuge and 2 in the main. Unfortunately the copper band is not an option (even though I would love one) as I am already overstocked and I think my PBT would not allow it.

Back
Top Bottom