aquaclear media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the aquaclear 70 on my tank. I took out the ceramic noodle things it came with so the only filter media I have in there at the moment are sponges. I am noticing a lot of crud floating around in my tank. What media do you fellow ac keepers use?

I may not have an AC filter, but I do have 2 cannisters which operate on the same flow principle.

1) Fluval 304 uses Sponge -> Floss -> Matrix (bio media) -> Floss

2) Custom uses Matrix -> Sponge -> Floss and more floss.

I always stack media coarse -> fine and it seems to keep the water clear and requires changing less often (less likely to clog)

I have a AC70 on one tank and a AC 110 on the other. I use the sponge that came with it 100% pollster pillow stuffing for filter floss and I keep the bio rings on top.

Malkore, does it seem like there are a bunch of little particles floating around in your tank with just the sponges?

I've found the AC filters to be excellent at mechanical filtration.

How often is the sponge you have in there cleaned?

Any reason why you're not using the bio-media? (the ceramic noodles)

If you want to run cleaner with the AC filters, run 2 sponges ( as Malkore said) and add a layer of batting (either the roll stuff or the loose) between the 2. If you have the rings, leave them in, too.

I have 2 sponges in and I took the noodles out because I was getting a lot of back flow out the intake side. My sponges get rinsed at every waterchange, about once a week. Purigen is ok to use with the plants?

Purigen is ok to use with the plants?

Yes, it is fine to use. You can also buy 100ml bags (no need to buy a jar + "the bag") Just keep an eye on your nitrates, it strips the water of dissolved organics.

Back
Top Bottom