Aquarium Moss Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman793

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, as stupid as it sounds..... for whatever reason I'm having trouble with my moss. I have anchor moss mixed with some Taiwan. I used to have anchor, flame and Taiwan. I originally had the anchor moss and it did great so I went ahead and got Taiwan and Flame because I liked the anchor moss so much. I had to trim it to protect my red tiger lotuses. Then all of the sudden all of the moss sorta just started falling apart. I have no clue why. I wasn't even dosing ferts all that much then and now I do it on a regular schedule. Plus I believe my lights are better then they were then. Im looking to do a 30 gallon tank for fun with my 2 angels in it. I want to do a amazon sword in case they breed and I want to have a lot of moss.
Tank Specs:
30 gallon tall
2 twenty watt bulbs
Dirt capped with small to medium gravel
Ferts:
Every other day I dose Seachem Excel
Weekly I dose Flourish and Iron
I am thinking of buying another light strip to get some more light or if you guys have any suggestions for good bulbs I would be happy to hear them. I don't completely understand the lighting side of the planted aquarium.
Thanks for the help!

What kind of bulb is it? Do you know what the color temperature is? Is the moss dying and falling apart, or are pieces breaking off that are still alive?

I am pretty sure that they are 6k bulbs. I know they are Foster's and Smith bulbs. They were labeled for plants. I know you cant rely on labels to tell you if they are good or not but I checked the bulb's specs and they seemed good to me. BUT, I only have limited knowledge on the lighting side of the planted aquarium. Its time for me to change them out soon so if you have any suggestions for bulbs I would appreciate that.
Originally when the moss was doing so well, pieces would break off that were still alive and I assumed that was good but I always wished it would just keep growing and not break off. Now it still does that sometimes but its starting to fall apart and die more and more.

What kind of light fixture is it? Are the lights tubes, or screw in spiral bulbs?

They are tubes. And what do you mean by what kind of light fixture? How much wattage it can handle?

Sorry, the bulbs are actually 24 watts. I don't know the diameter but the length is 22" or 559 mm.

Can you estimate or measure the diameter? That's really all I need to know to be able to tell what kind of bulb (T5, T8, T12) it uses.

Oh. That's what you need to know? I cant believe I forgot to put T5 in the original post. Im sorry. They are both T5s.

Oh, ok. Then the moss should be growing just fine... do you know if the pieces that break off are dead or alive?

Most of the time it is dead. But the rest of the time its alive but it doesn't really grow. I don't understand why im having trouble because my setup has only gotten better.

Back
Top Bottom