Aquarium plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleky plec

Aquarium Advice Freak
My question is, what kind of plants are perfect for a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium? I currently have 3 male guppies, 2 neon tetras, 2 x-ray tetras, and a plecostomus. And I know that the pleco will outgrow the tank.

That will depend on what type of light you have on the aquarium. If you just have the light that comes with the kit, I would suggest you put low tech plants, like javafern, anublas.

+1 Ferns, anubius, most mosses, dwarf sag, crypts.
Also under medium light, other water column feeders like most hygros, some ludwigias it all depends on light.
I think it's aqueon that makes a hood with two screw in sockets you could put CFLs in. Bam! Medium light.

I think marimo moss balls are cool. they filter the water, they look elegant and natural, and they are on ebay for 95 cents to 2 dollars.

Walmart sells 10 watt cfl's in their fish section for about $5 apiece. I've had these in my 10g for nearly a year and I'm growing swords (which I have to keep trimmed so they won't outgrow it), crypts, wisteria, anubias, java fern, and even dwarf hair grass. No co2 or algae. Just weekly 40% pwc's and a weekly low dose of API liquid fert.
Here's a pic, it's a little dated. The plants are fuller now.

Attachments

• planted 10g 005.jpg
    planted 10g 005.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 90
Reygan2 said:
Walmart sells 10 watt cfl's in their fish section for about $5 apiece. I've had these in my 10g for nearly a year and I'm growing swords (which I have to keep trimmed so they won't outgrow it), crypts, wisteria, anubias, java fern, and even dwarf hair grass. No co2 or algae. Just weekly 40% pwc's and a weekly low dose of API liquid fert.
Here's a pic, it's a little dated. The plants are fuller now.

You have plant substrate?

You have plant substrate?

No, in this tank I have black sand from Petsmart. It's a little pricey. I think I paid around $25 for a 10 lb bag. I like the looks, but I wish I'd chosen eco complete or black flora max. The owner of my lfs insists that sand makes a horrible substrate for planted tanks. He swears it will become packed, which will not only stop root growth, but won't allow nutrients to get to the roots. There is some debate, but I've not had any issues so far. But then it's only been a year since I started using sand in my tanks.
Maybe others will chime in.

Reygan2 said:
No, in this tank I have black sand from Petsmart. It's a little pricey. I think I paid around $25 for a 10 lb bag. I like the looks, but I wish I'd chosen eco complete or black flora max. The owner of my lfs insists that sand makes a horrible substrate for planted tanks. He swears it will become packed, which will not only stop root growth, but won't allow nutrients to get to the roots. There is some debate, but I've not had any issues so far. But then it's only been a year since I started using sand in my tanks.
Maybe others will chime in.

Lol that's what I have except the cool grey color and I dose the same as you. AND I wanted to do fluorite but the guy at the lfs said the same thing LOL.

I have a mix of fluorite and that black sand and mine works fine. No issue of lack of root growth. Most things hold down well and it isn't messy.

I have 2 bags of fluorite for my substrate in my 20h. It's been growing plants like crazy for over four years. Can't ask for better than that.

If you've been using sand for a year with no problems, doesn't that speak for itself? Really! Some people at pet shops bash everything except what they like to use. *shakes head*

CorallineAlgae said:
I have 2 bags of fluorite for my substrate in my 20h. It's been growing plants like crazy for over four years. Can't ask for better than that.

If you've been using sand for a year with no problems, doesn't that speak for itself? Really! Some people at pet shops bash everything except what they like to use. *shakes head*

I suppose that's true. my plants are growing better in regular sand than in my gravel tanks....

I use sand in planted tanks with no issues. I do also have a nice colony of Malaysian trumpet snails to burrow in it and keep things mixed up though

I'll never go back to gravel. My sand tanks grow much better. I have AquaSoil, in one tank...it is amazing, but a huge Pain to deal with....plants keep uprooting as the AS is sooo light. Plants love it !!! I don't.

I haven't tried aqua soil but I did do a 10 gallon dirt MGO with a sand cap. Everything grew fantastic zero algae until I removed the pressurized CO2.
Just started it up with stratum not sure what to expect yet.

Back
Top Bottom