Aquarium stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raven

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am going to be building a stand for my 90gal, and I was wondering what would be a good height to make it. The Aquarium is 24" tall, and I was thinking about making the stand 30" tall. Just wondering if this would be a good height or should it be a bit taller?

I'm building a stand for my 125 right now, and opted for a 32" height. My original stand was 24", plus about 24" for the tank = too short. Whatever you do, don't go higher than 35" or 36", it gets unstable :-(

I called a professional stand maker to find out their height limitations before commencing construction. Check out the DIY section under Community Forums for DIY plans and such. If you need advice, there are a few of us building now.

I think the higher the tank is off the ground, the better. Here's a silly observation. The higher the tank is, the the less the fish are stressed when people enter the room. I've found this to be the case with discus at least, and it was confirmed when I went to visit a hatchery. He kept his breeding pairs at a height even with eye level.

I would say height is of personal prefernce. I myself dont like the idea of having to get a stool or small latter out anytime I need to do any work in the tank that involves my hand more than a few inches into the water. I recently got a 75 gal thats on a 40" tall stand. Makes the tank at viewing height but at the same time makes it hard to do anything in the tank with out a step stool.

I am not a tall person at all but I find my tanks sit too low for viewing, especially my 44 breeder. I have to sit down to view them, and I would prefer them to be a little higher than they are. I already have to get a stool to reach to the bottom of my 55, so no biggie for me. I think I have permanent creases in my upper inner arm from reaching in to trim plants, etc!

I'd opt for 30". I have a DYI canopy made from 1x8" boards, so with the stand, the 75 gallon tank (20" deep) and another 6.5" of canopy above the tank rim, I have about an inch between the canopy lip and my armpit. Thankfully I have monkey arms and can still touch the bottom of the tank, but still need a stepstool to reach the back of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom