Aquascaping suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
2006_0815Image0003.jpg

I'm thinking that I need to switch some things around and wanted to get a few suggestions. First, I want to keep it taller on the sides (in front and in back) to give a relatively open middle. I also don't have access to tons of plants and would prefer to simply rearrange the plants I have - but I will take suggestions on new plants.

Currently:
In front: dwarf hairgrass, very small patch of HC, and dwarf saggitaria.
In back: A. reinekii, H. polysperma, R. roundiflia, L. repens "rubin", Echinodoru bleheri "dwarf", L. repens, Lobelia cardinalis, E. bleheri, A reinekii, and Myriophyllum simulan.

Tank specs:
75g
220W (3wpg)
pressurized CO2
EcoComplete
hard water (don't remember exactly how many ppm)
ferts: KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, CSM+B, and Excel

Any suggestions on how to rearrange things?

Beautiful looking healthy plants Hashbaz :) Very nice.

My suggestions:

1] Your tank appears too symmetrical (from side to side). Instead of leaving the center open, try pushing the taller plants further left or right so that the tank exhibits a 2:3 ratio or more (unbalanced). This can be used to draw the eye to a specific feature like the brilliant A. reineckii or maybe the L. repens "Rubin."

2] Fill the open substrate in front (but you're probably already working on that one :wink: ).

3] I love those E. bleheri. They really caught my eye. Again, they appear too symmetrical. Try to unbalance them and place one or both of them in front of a contrasting taller plant.

4] Smaller-leaved plants in the back of the tank will help increase the sense of depth (diminishing perspective) so you might consider placing the larger-leaved tall plants in front of them as long as they don't obscure the plants behind them.

5] I like your idea of keeping the taller plants to the sides. It works well, but instead of a straight lateral cut-off line across the middle (front to back, that is) of your tank, move some of the taller plants forward on one side. Again, this gives the unbalanced (and more natural-appearing) look.

I hope I'm not babbling. You've got a real green thumb, show those killer plants off a little more :)

Your plants and tank look great.

A. reineckii and those Swords is an amazing transition of color. I think the A. reineckii far left should be where the L. repens "Rubin" is, except behind the Sword and driftwood. Then I think the leaf shape and color of the L. repens "Rubin" will be a more effective accent with H. polysperma and R. rotundifolia.

I think the front-back placement of L. cardinallis to E. bleheri to L. repens is really attractive. I think if you put the L. repens further to the right, so that "line" isn't so close to center and rather points towars the M. simulans, it'd be a great focal point. Right now it invokes the thought of a tank cut in half, which I think accentuates Travis's points about symmetry.

HTH. Just thoughts I can't explain well. Also remember I am a poor aquascaper :)

travis simonson said:
Beautiful looking healthy plants Hashbaz :) Very nice.

One nice thing about a large tank - pictures from farther back do not show the green spot algae and yellow holes on my plants :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions, Joe and Travis. I never intended the tank to be this symmetric.

Here is what I have been thinking:

* 1st - give the tank a good trim!

* I have two larger swords and several smaller swords. I was going for more of a hegde/bush/forest of sword instead of two symmetric ones. I could move the one on the right farther to the right and bring it forward a lttle so that I can put some A reinekii behind it. I could then bring the other large sword right up against the other, but against the back. I could then put the smaller ones in the front of the bigger two in order to "slant down" in front a little.

* I don't like the A. reinekii on the left. I was thinking to move it to behind the sword to make one bunch of reinekii.

* I am very undecided on the foreground. My first intention was to fill in the middle with HC. But then I kind of realized I like the bare substrate in front. My angles must feel the same because they keep ripping up my small patch of HC. But is it weird to leave portions of the gravel bare?

* I too like the way the shape of the L. cardinalis contrasts with the swords, but because it is my only "middle" sized plant, I may want it somewhere else. Its funny that this plant was an "extra" in my order, and now it is the only plant I wish I had more of.

What would you guys think of the middle being barren except for a few patches of HC or a few patches of riccia (if I can find it)? I kind of like the idea of keeping the carpet plants separated from each other so they don't grow together.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

You have a great looking tank!!! I would listen to travis on this one he definitely knows his stuff.

Now what about maybe 3 or 4 dwarf sag in the open area, just so it doesn't look so bare? And a couple small rocks with them.

If you want to keep an area up front bare, I'd border the plants in back with your foreground plants. That way the foreground plants give a little better transition to the bare substrate area.

Not sure of the name of the dark red plant on the left, but I love it. If you have any extra to give away when you trim, keep me in mind. I love layout ideas/plans, though the plants look awesome as they are.

Your plants look amazing. As already mentioned, follow Travis and czcz's advice. They pretty much nailed what it might need.

Back
Top Bottom