Aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndiH011

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I finally got to the lfs store today full of enthusiasm knowing how I would like my 44g reef tank to look,

I have had in mind a sunken war wreck broken up on the bed covered in live rock and coral etc.

When I got there I picked up the ornament an suddenly realised that the ornament might corrode causing no end of problems.

The ornament was made from "aquarium safe" resin and is painted. When I ask the guy he said he wouldn't like to comment just in case it wasn't safe due to the High salt content in a reef tank.

Can any one help or are my visions of a shipwreck reef truly sunk :-(

Thanks

Look for a thread called; "we are going for a different look" under saltwater forums, my friend has a sunken ship wreck fowlr tank, and the resin ornament doesn't corrode away at all, looks really good. Check it out.

Hi! I'm the guy who has the tank from the 'we are going for a different look' thread suggested by my good pall Nomuadu571!

I pondered the exact same question you asked before I went for it. The best thing to do is as the manufacturer directly if it is suitable for SW, that way they are accountable!! Put up some pics of some ideas of what product you are thinking of getting!

Hi Brighty,

I read all of your post in that thread and have even watch all your vids on you tube!!!

Thanks for the reply. I have attached a pick of the two I have in mind and they are from the same people that stock my lfs. Let me know what you think

image-2134795713.jpg

I have also emailed the supplier but I'm not that confident of a correct answer. After all they are selling the item.

I think either one of those would look fantastic! I think it would look even better then mine as you are going for corals (we did fish only!) and could have them on the actual ship/sub.

The purple coraline is really starting to take over the ship now and is looking very good!

Thanks Brighty. The products i have shown look like they may even been produced by the same manufacturer as yours as the decoration seems consistent.

Have u got a recent pic of your tank?

Thanks! No not live sand, went with crushed coral sand from pets at home, nothing too flash! Diatoms made a bit of a mess on the sand but installed a UV steriliser and cleared it up in a week!

oO BRIGHTY Oo said:
How have you been progressing with your tank?

Super thanks, I didn't go with the shipwreck just yet but there is room for me to put in at a later stage.

I woke up the other morning and found this bit of coral growing out of the LV. What a bonus :)

image-3675919662.jpg

How is yours going. How long have you had it running for?

That is a really nice bonus!! Let's see a full tank shot!

Yea ours is doing well, considering getting a tank that is nearly double the volume of our current one!! It's been going for around 7 months now, purple coraline algae growing over everything!!

oO BRIGHTY Oo said:
That is a really nice bonus!! Let's see a full tank shot!

Yea ours is doing well, considering getting a tank that is nearly double the volume of our current one!! It's been going for around 7 months now, purple coraline algae growing over everything!!

Here's the tank shot

image-155755745.jpg

I found a baby starfish as well now

I bet you have your hands full now then with the bigger tank!!

It's so addictive. I've not really started and I'm thinking how nice a bigger tank would be!!! It's hard not spending money isn't it

Yes it is soooo addictive and people who aren't into fish keeping think we are nuts for what we spend to keep our tanks running!!

Your tank looks very good, liking the darker background! What are your ideas for stocking?

oO BRIGHTY Oo said:
Yes it is soooo addictive and people who aren't into fish keeping think we are nuts for what we spend to keep our tanks running!!

Your tank looks very good, liking the darker background! What are your ideas for stocking?

Yesterday I bought some more Live rock and have started the clean up crew.

I bought 2x blue knuckled hermits and 2x turban snails as a start. Slowly slowly…

Once the crabs and snails have settled next will be 2 cleaner and a fire shrimp along with a sand dollar then my first list looks like this,

2 clowns
2 chromis
2 Goby's have not decided which type
A coral beauty
Toby or cow fish

Along with introducing anemones and more coral I'm not completely sure about how many I could keep, having to count the clean up crew as well

What do you think? There is so many beautiful fish around and my LFS has a great choice

Here's a pic with the new LV

image-3334014911.jpg

Your gonna have to pass on the cowfish they get over 1'

Oh wow, that is a very nice array of rock!

I like your stock list, doesn't seem over the top and have resisted the idea of getting say a tang or angelfish.

Our clean up crews seem quite similar! Just letting you know that the blood shrimp is a lot more shy then the standard cleaner shrimp, which is a shame as it is so vibrant, although I did have it cleaning my hand the other day!

Back
Top Bottom