Aquatic dwarf frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
Where to begin. So my wife comes home today as I'm not feeling up to snuff and hands me a bag. It's got my frozen bloodworms, water conditioner and a bag of water wit something moving. Upon further investigation I find out they are aquatic dwarf frogs. I don't know NYC about them, I'm doing some reading as we speak. Any suggestions on how to care for them? I know they'll eat bloodworms but not sure what else.

First thing I would have you do is read up on the differences between African dwarf frogs and baby African clawed frogs! Let's hope they are the former!

Yeah I did that and all 3 have webbed feet no claws. They are quite interesting

if you post a good picture we might be able to help you. If you have questions Siva on here knows a good bit about them. I have two in a ten gallon tank. They are fully aquatic, but breath air. They are almost completely blind and it takes them a while to find with food. Because they are in a tank by themselves I don't worry about feeding them, just drop in some thawed out frozen blood worms about every two to three days. I was feeding more, but they seem to be most happy at this rate. They shouldn't be in a tank that is too deep, somewhere between 12 and 18in I have heard is best. If you have other fish in the tank with them, try to drop some blood worms right in front of them. I use a medicine dropper that was never used for medicine. It was a freebie from the pharmacist when I picked up some liquid antibiotics. They make giant tweezers, but the dropper works just as well. I looove this technique and use it in all my tanks. I have some very greedy congo tetras in one tank and feed them a little first then the rest of the tank on the other end. ADF's are so much fun to watch! They will hop up to the top of the tank for a breath then dart back down to the bottom of the tank for cover, but are not very smart about it. Sometimes they use what I call the ostrich technique where their heads are covered but they bums are still in the air. As long as they are true ADFs and not clawed frogs they shouldn't bother your fish.

Have fun! I love these guys. Oh and if you find them "hugging" keep an eye out for eggs at the top of the water.

Amphibians for Freshwater Aquariums: Dwarf African Frog

Back
Top Bottom