Are Angel Fish Peacful Community Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simoneack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My local fish store has baby angel fish.. Are these good community fish? Will they go ok with neon tetras, Corey catfish, danios and a golden gourami ? The guy at the pet store said that it will be fine .. But I just want to get some advice on how well one would fit in to a community?

Yes they would be fine for a few months then the angels will grow and one by one your neons will dissapear the other stuff will be ok tho

Neon Tetras are actually part of the freshwater angelfish diet in the wild, so there's a decent chance they will become nothing but feeder fish for the angels. Also sometimes angels can be a bit nippy and may nip at the gourami. And speaking of which, gouramis can also be aggressive and those long pretty angel fins make great targets for nipping. That said, if they're raised from juvenile with the other fish, especially if the gourami is juvenile as well, it may very well work.

The Baby Angels were super tiny.. And my Gourami would be half grown, he is a bit nippy towards the smaller fish.. So maybe not a good idea... Thanks for your help guys =))

They are well-behaved for a cichlid. They do tend to posture and give short chase to fish they don't want around them on occasion, but it's harmless. Mine just laid eggs last week and they were extra aggressive to the tank mates, but the female never once actually bit another fish, she just chased them away from her eggs.

I did try to introduce neons to my tank a couple weeks ago, but I made the mistake of drip acclimating them for 2 hours and then pouring the bucket into the tank rather than net them in. I feed my frozen brine shrimp to them this way, and they thought I was feeding them. They went after the neons non-stop, but my heavy planting allowed the neons to avoid getting eaten.. I had to move them to my 10 gallon as a result. This same tank has a runt guppy (smaller than a neon) that was in the tank since the Angelfish were dime sized, and they never bat an eyelash at him. He swims near them and eats with them all the time. Your results may vary, of course.

Once they are full grown or close to it, you have to be extra careful how you add new fish if they are small. Feed the tank, shut the lights out, net them in. Chances they go after them as food is much lower.

They are well-behaved for a cichlid. They do tend to posture and give short chase to fish they don't want around them on occasion, but it's harmless. Mine just laid eggs last week and they were extra aggressive to the tank mates, but the female never once actually bit another fish, she just chased them away from her eggs.

I did try to introduce neons to my tank a couple weeks ago, but I made the mistake of drip acclimating them for 2 hours and then pouring the bucket into the tank rather than net them in. I feed my frozen brine shrimp to them this way, and they thought I was feeding them. They went after the neons non-stop, but my heavy planting allowed the neons to avoid getting eaten.. I had to move them to my 10 gallon as a result. This same tank has a runt guppy (smaller than a neon) that was in the tank since the Angelfish were dime sized, and they never bat an eyelash at him. He swims near them and eats with them all the time. Your results may vary, of course.

Once they are full grown or close to it, you have to be extra careful how you add new fish if they are small. Feed the tank, shut the lights out, net them in. Chances they go after them as food is much lower.

Congratulations on you Angel eggs!!!! =))

Thanks for such great advice!! These angel babies were about the size of a dime to.. So I guess if I was to get one, now would be the time.. =)

I keep 12 adult angels with mostly all smaller fish and a Red Flame Dwarf Gourami and have no issues. It really does make a difference when adding very small angels to a tank with small fish, such as neons. The issue can be adding small fish to the tank after the angel is mature and views the tank as "their" tank. Also if the tank is heavily planted this makes the neons feel more secure. I added 25 small cardinals that were no bigger than small neons a few weeks ago and what I did was feed the angels their favorite food while adding the cardinals. Just thought I'd mention this if you do decide to get one and want to add fish down the road. Personally with an angel being that small I think now would be the time to add one and if you want anymore neons I'd get them now also.

I agree 100 percent with Rivercats. I had a school of neons in an established tank before I added my angels. They are adults now and it never even crosses their minds to go after a neon.

I keep 12 adult angels with mostly all smaller fish and a Red Flame Dwarf Gourami and have no issues. It really does make a difference when adding very small angels to a tank with small fish, such as neons. The issue can be adding small fish to the tank after the angel is mature and views the tank as "their" tank. Also if the tank is heavily planted this makes the neons feel more secure. I added 25 small cardinals that were no bigger than small neons a few weeks ago and what I did was feed the angels their favorite food while adding the cardinals. Just thought I'd mention this if you do decide to get one and want to add fish down the road. Personally with an angel being that small I think now would be the time to add one and if you want anymore neons I'd get them now also.

Wow 12 Angel fish!!! Bet they keep you busy ;) ...

Yeah I figured a baby angel would be better then a full grown one... I don't know a lot about the angels, but when I seen them at my fish store they were seriously the cutest little things.. Better do some research on them, see if I can handle one ... Thanks guys for your help

They are very intelligent and they love interacting with you. I have 11 angels. Two of them are in a tank with killies, I keep a close eye on this tank to be sure the angels are behaving, they have been in there since they were about nickel sized they are about 75 percent grown now and they behave just fine!

12 adult angels in a 220g (822 liters) isn't too bad, my tank is heavily planted (you can see pic's in the links at the bottom of the post), and the fact I have a large number of angels means aggression is more widely spread amoungst them with no one angel getting picked on.

They are very intelligent and they love interacting with you. I have 11 angels. Two of them are in a tank with killies, I keep a close eye on this tank to be sure the angels are behaving, they have been in there since they were about nickel sized they are about 75 percent grown now and they behave just fine!

I have Rachovii Killi's in with my 12, what kind of Killi's do you have with yours?

Ohh wow that's great!! For some reason I always thought they were a aggressive fish.. But they sound lovely!!

One thing I was worried about was my Danios... I have a school of 5 of these.. My pet shop said there nice peaceful fish .. But they are super active and I've caught them terrorizing the small fish, even fin nipping =s they leave the gourami alone.. But would a baby angel b ok to put in with these?

12 adult angels in a 220g (822 liters) isn't too bad, my tank is heavily planted (you can see pic's in the links at the bottom of the post), and the fact I have a large number of angels means aggression is more widely spread amoungst them with no one angel getting picked on.

Wow that's a huge tank!! Had a look at the pictures looks great!! ... Good job!! You have some nice colored angels.. The once I seen at my fish store, were the black and white Colour, like the one in your pic..

Personally I'm not a of danios due to their hyper activity. Usually an angel will not tolerate to much guff before it shows the other fish it will retaliate. One of my ram females when first added to the big tank thought the angels feelers were worms and used to suck them in her mouth and chew them. Well that lasted a few seconds and the angel let her know in no uncertain terms that was not acceptible. The ram never tried it again. So in the beginning just watch them but angels, even little ones, can usually hold their own.

Personally I'm not a of danios due to their hyper activity. Usually an angel will not tolerate to much guff before it shows the other fish it will retaliate. One of my ram females when first added to the big tank thought the angels feelers were worms and used to suck them in her mouth and chew them. Well that lasted a few seconds and the angel let her know in no uncertain terms that was not acceptible. The ram never tried it again. So in the beginning just watch them but angels, even little ones, can usually hold their own.

Thanks for such gear advice!! Defiantly add a angel to my tank next week =))

I have another question: will a dwarf gourami be ok with guppies?

I have a half dollar sized angel in a tank with 5 danios. They do fine. The danios might just be playing. When i researched them before i bought them most sites said they like to chase. More fun than harm.

I've never had issues with DG bothering/nipping at any fish but each fish has it's own personality so there is always a chance you get a testy one. But seriously I wouldn't let that little chance be a reason not to give it a go IMO.

I've never had issues with DG bothering/nipping at any fish but each fish has it's own personality so there is always a chance you get a testy one. But seriously I wouldn't let that little chance be a reason not to give it a go IMO.

Thanks .. My mother in-law wanted to know about the dwarf Gourami's =))

Ok so my last question, I promise.. :

My golden gourami has developed these tiny little black spots... It's sort of like he's been sprinkled with pepper... He's had them for a week , I've been keeping a good eye on him.. He's still eatting well, ( he ate 7 of my baby neons =s .. ) and last night i noticed him scratching him self on the air hose? ... Does this sound like some sort of parasite? And how do I treat it?

He's new to the tank, as well as my 5 glass cat fish.. But when I look closely at them they seem to have the same tiny black dots..

Back
Top Bottom