Are certain aquatic creatures more prone to dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just been thinking about this since my recent passing of my ADF who had dropsy and I've noticed, since I've been keeping fish anyways, that certain species are affected by dropsy more than others... I know that most species have their own "usual suspsects" as most anything does... but I've only noticed dropsy in danios, bettas(especially), and on one occurance a molly... I've yet to see any of my other fish get this...are some species "immune" to it o_O

annnnnd *beats title that cut off the "sy" in "dropsy"*

I'm not sure if there is a consensus on what species get dropsy most. For me the only fish I have ever had that had dropsy were gourami's.

It's been mollies in my experience, but then in my experience mollies have been the most sickly and unhealthy-prone-to-disease fish I've ever kept. Inbreeding in the stock, particularly mollies and guppies, has led to a situation where - in the next 5-10 years - I suspect these fish will only be catered for by intermediate to advanced fishkeepers: gone will be the days of 'starter fish' (whatever that derogatory term means).

Shame :( They can be lovely little fish, and I see it starting to happen with tetra (esp. neons) as well: inbred, bent spines, prone to whitespot.

Back
Top Bottom