Are my fish gonna survive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

latashalaine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It has been 36 hours in a 10 gallon tank uncycled. I have been doing 50-60% changes 2x per day with no water testing available to me yet. my two sunset platys are still very active and playful, with healthy appetites. Does this mean that I am doing things right? or is it still too soon to tell? I have been super worried about them!

Don't cave in to their "healthy appetite." You should be feeding very little while the tank is cycling. Continue with the water changes until you get the water testing kit. Once you know the ammonia and nitrite levels you can plan your water changes accordingly.

David

Don't cave in to their "healthy appetite." You should be feeding very little while the tank is cycling. Continue with the water changes until you get the water testing kit. Once you know the ammonia and nitrite levels you can plan your water changes accordingly.

David

I have not been conditioning the water since I have fresh spring water straight from the ground. I plan on getting some prime to help coat them and help with hard minerals soon. I don't think I have been overfeeding. How long would it take them to get sick or die if I am not doing things right? just trying to get an idea if their sensitivities.

IMO, you don't need to do twice daily water changes, once a day or every other day would be sufficient. You would see them acting off rather quickly if there were a problem with the water. Such as labored breathing, lethargic, no appetite, etc.

How long would it take them to get sick or die if I am not doing things right? just trying to get an idea if their sensitivities.
They'll let you know through some of the behaviors already mentioned. They may also swim erratically with spontaneous bursts, as if trying to get away from the "bad" water.

David

UPDATE* I have now had my fish in an uncycled tank for a week and a half. I have done daily water changes and test the water every other day. Ammonia reads 0.50ppm each time I test. They have already produced a batch of fry. I am feeling pretty confident! I still should wait before I add a couple more? They seem like they might do better with some companions.

I wouldn't add more until the tank fully cycles; you'll just be adding to the ammonia levels. After ammonia comes nitrite which is as toxic to fish as ammonia so you have a ways to go yet. Have you tested for nitrite and have you gotten any readings yet? Also as you know now platys breed pretty well so you'll have more fish than you can fit in a 10 gal even without adding more.

Also are you using strips or liquid kit? Have you tested your tap water for ammonia to see if it has any? If not, do so to see where you're starting from. If you've done daily water changes and the ammonia still reads .5 either you're not changing enough water or your tap has some ammonia in it or the test isn't accurate (if it's strips). Try to keep ammonia <.25.

Last edited:
Hi,

Try to keep the ammonia less than .25 and nitrite less than 1 ppm. I would not add anymore fish until you are completely done with the cycle, even if the fish seem unaffected by the toxicity.

David

I wouldn't add more until the tank fully cycles; you'll just be adding to the ammonia levels. After ammonia comes nitrite which is as toxic to fish as ammonia so you have a ways to go yet. Have you tested for nitrite and have you gotten any readings yet? Also as you know now platys breed pretty well so you'll have more fish than you can fit in a 10 gal even without adding more.

Also are you using strips or liquid kit? Have you tested your tap water for ammonia to see if it has any? If not, do so to see where you're starting from. If you've done daily water changes and the ammonia still reads .5 either you're not changing enough water or your tap has some ammonia in it or the test isn't accurate (if it's strips). Try to keep ammonia <.25.

Ok thanks, I will not add any more just yet.

I am using the liquid master kit and I have not tested our spring water; that will be next on my list. I change the water once daily and test every other day BEFORE I do the changes. I have never tested the water AFTER a water change. Should I? Nitrites are at 0 ppm

Ok thanks, I will not add any more just yet.

I am using the liquid master kit and I have not tested our spring water; that will be next on my list. I change the water once daily and test every other day BEFORE I do the changes. I have never tested the water AFTER a water change. Should I? Nitrites are at 0 ppm

With a fish in cycle you should be testing everyday, If not daily... Or atleast I think so. I would be too afraid to only test every other day.

So I tested my tap water for ammonia and it looks like it has 0.25ppm...what now??

36 hours is still a little soon to tell but I'd think you're on the right track. Because I am doing the same thing you are with my new 40 gallon and I just keep doing water changes daily and test the water and now 2 weeks have gone by and I think my ammonia is nearly done fluctuating and I only lost 1 fish to some strange fungus (separate from new tank syndrome)

I too have one platy and he seems happy even after the 2 weeks so the main thing I'm worried about is the sensitive ram I have in there or the potential spikes that may occur. My advise is to keep the water changes and feed minimal and test the water. Platys are pretty hardy too

Back
Top Bottom