Are my guppies pregnant? Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeccaBear374

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello newbie here! I have 4 female guppies total and being new to guppies I was hoping someone with a trained eye can give me an idea if these 3 are pregnant? The 2 on the left have been with a male for 3.5 weeks at the time of this picture the one on the right I purchased this past Monday from an "all female tank" but there were a lot of fry in there. Any help is appreciated. Also, the one on the right every morning when I turn the light on her gravid spot is gone and come back very black within half an hour, is this normal? Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-200408_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-200408_Gallery.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 32
If they have been in a tank with males they are pregnant lol guppies breed like crazy lol

So, so true!!! The female guppies were likely together in the breeding facility and separated before bagging for sale, but they were together with male babies before that and why / how they can be pregnant.

Even one male fish mistakenly gets into the females group, babies!!!

Even tiny females just bigger than babies will be 1/3 inch and preggo. It was how I could tell which fish were males, and they all basically looked like babies, except some were gravid and I would separate them that way.

Maybe the one gave birth. Babies are tiny, often especially from young / brand new moms, though sometimes the new moms will give birth to few but larger fry.

I would purchase some baby fish food.

But yes if you have a female guppy, 99% or more it is going to have babies in around a month, gestation is appx. 28 days.

The momma will get shiny and the front of the body will look squared, and then more squared and maybe even more squared and birth will happen.

You will notice she will be going around floating plants, floating plastic plants, live stem plants, or corners of the tank if there aren't tall plants they can hide / get cover in.

The additionally crazy thing about these fish is that the females can store sperm from the males, for months, yes, 6 months or so if it is an adult female. :blink:

Livebearers which Guppies are, have hundred of baby fish per year but in nature a huge number of them are eaten by predators, though in a tank the mothers and fathers may eat some of the babies but you will end up with babies most of the time. Now if you had a hungry tankmate, they also might eat the babies. Having moss or plants in the top of the water would be a help for the babies to hide out.

My newest female I got yesterday from the pet store she was in an all female tank. Could you give your thoughts on her too?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220423-082221_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220423-082221_Gallery.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
That dark spot.....

So yes, looks to be halfway there or more maybe around week 3.

The squared off part may be starting around the last 5-6 days. It's been a long time since I paid attention, I let them do what they want when they are mixed males and females. And age might also have a difference. Just a guess really but it basically looks like they will pop as adults this one looks young so might not get so shiny and square.

Oh and I was going to mention that you might be able to see teeny tiny eyes.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!! I appreciate you sharing that info with me, thank you!! :D

That dark spot.....

So yes, looks to be halfway there or more maybe around week 3.

The squared off part may be starting around the last 5-6 days. It's been a long time since I paid attention, I let them do what they want when they are mixed males and females. And age might also have a difference. Just a guess really but it basically looks like they will pop as adults this one looks young so might not get so shiny and square.

Oh and I was going to mention that you might be able to see teeny tiny eyes.

Can you give your thoughts? The top picture is when I brought her home on the 22nd, the bottom picture is today the 26th. Do you think she could still be pregnant? The only change I notice in her is her gravid spot is bigger. But I've also read that the gravid spot doesn't mean she's pregnant. Thanks!!

Attachments

• Collage 2022-04-26 15_43_23.jpg
    Collage 2022-04-26 15_43_23.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 21
Can you give your thoughts? The top picture is when I brought her home on the 22nd, the bottom picture is today the 26th. Do you think she could still be pregnant? The only change I notice in her is her gravid spot is bigger. But I've also read that the gravid spot doesn't mean she's pregnant. Thanks!!

It looks to me that the gravid spot is expanding and the lighter color would mean to n=me the babies are getting bigger, think the color of the body of the mom fish, darker in an area but light color body. I would also think that you are more than a week at least away from birth. But probably this next week you will see her square up, it is pretty noticeable.

In the mean time, vac the gravel, and do a couple water changes to get the water as perfect as possible. You will do less water changes right after birth when there are tiny babies.

Though you can do water changes if necessary by capturing the water falling out of the HOB filter. (y)

Oh do you have a cover over the inflow tube?

https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/edge-pre-filter-sponge/

Very exciting!

It looks to me that the gravid spot is expanding and the lighter color would mean to n=me the babies are getting bigger, think the color of the body of the mom fish, darker in an area but light color body. I would also think that you are more than a week at least away from birth. But probably this next week you will see her square up, it is pretty noticeable.

In the mean time, vac the gravel, and do a couple water changes to get the water as perfect as possible. You will do less water changes right after birth when there are tiny babies.

Though you can do water changes if necessary by capturing the water falling out of the HOB filter. (y)

Oh do you have a cover over the inflow tube?

https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/edge-pre-filter-sponge/

Very exciting!

Hello! I just had a different girl have her fry this morning! 15 total, one egg. She was what I thought was done having them, and a few hours after what I thought was the last one, she had another fry. My question is, how do I know when she is done? I moved the fry and her into a separate tank, she is in the breeder box, and is doing well, babies are swimming around. But when is it safe to say she is done? I was surprised by this birth, I got her 4 days ago, so didn't know how far along she was, she showed really no signs of labor, and just by chance I saw a tail! When should she be okay to go back into my main tank?

Attachments

• 20220430_142200.jpg
    20220430_142200.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220430_131929.jpg
    20220430_131929.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 26
I would keep the lights lower or off and give her some food a tiny amount at a time and see if she is interested in eating.

Most of mine would eat while they were having babies and sometimes it took all day (I didn't feed them ALL day, lol), and once in awhile they would pop out a new one the next day, but usually it was around about a day.

Again, livebearers will be giving birth over a decent amount of time and lots and lots of babies will come!

When it seems she has had a few hours with no babies, and if it seems there isn't a lot of darkness in the gravid spot, I would put her back to her tank. If she has any additional ones then you can net them out.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Back
Top Bottom