Are my Tiger Oscars sick??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jw9762

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently noticed some small dark spots on the sides of my oscars in the orange areas. They seem fine but I noticed it and now I'm curious is there is a need for concern. If so what is it and how do I fix it? Or is it normal? Thanks.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416084825.626442.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416084837.710979.jpg

**UPDATE**
Fish - Tiger Oscars have tiny black spots on the orange areas of sides
Tank Parameters - Nitrate: 30, Nitrite: .5, Hardness: 120, Alkalinity: 180, pH: 7.4
Tank Size - 55g corner tank, new tank but used old water from previous 30g tank
Filtration - Wet/Dry system with activated carbon in filter tray
# of fish - 2 tiger oscars (7", 5.5"), 1 pleco (4")
Water change - Usually every other week (haven't changed in new tank yet because 55g tank has only been running a week, planning on 15-20g changes)
Fish age - I have had the oscars since February '14, Pleco since September '14
New stuff - yes I have added new plastic and real plants as well as new substrate with new tank setup but i used the water from the old tank
Food - I feed them cichlid pellets, live fish, blood worms, and brine shrimp (usually pellets and I add in the other stuff a few times a week

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I recently noticed some small dark spots on the sides of my oscars in the orange areas. They seem fine but I noticed it and now I'm curious is there is a need for concern. If so what is it and how do I fix it? Or is it normal? Thanks.View attachment 255818View attachment 255819

Here's some info that will help us to help you. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/before-posting-about-unhealthy-fish-read-this-32451.html

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Fish - Tiger Oscars have tiny black spots on the orange areas of sides
Tank Parameters - Nitrate: 30, Nitrite: .5, Hardness: 120, Alkalinity: 180, pH: 7.4
Tank Size - 55g corner tank, new tank but used old water from previous 30g tank
Filtration - Wet/Dry system with activated carbon in filter tray
# of fish - 2 tiger oscars (7", 5.5"), 1 pleco (4")
Water change - Usually every other week (haven't changed in new tank yet because 55g tank has only been running a week, planning on 15-20g changes)
Fish age - I have had the oscars since February '14, Pleco since September '14
New stuff - yes I have added new plastic and real plants as well as new substrate with new tank setup but i used the water from the old tank
Food - I feed them cichlid pellets, live fish, blood worms, and brine shrimp (usually pellets and I add in the other stuff a few times a week

Are you using test strips? Tank is way overstocked. Those spots are mostly likely the beginning of ammonia burns.. I'll bet your nitrates are closer to 100, can you start changing 50% of the water every 4 days? Maybe rehome all but one oscar? Get a liquid test kit as well..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought rule of thumb was 1" of fish per gallon, in my case is all three grow to a foot then that is 36" of fish in 55g of water. Also yes I am using test strips and the nitrates are definitely not 100, the test strip says 30 maybe 40 tops. Also are water changes of that size and frequency really necessary due the type of filtration i have??

The 1" of fish per gallon rule is incredibly outdated and no longer considered good practice to follow with fish keeping.

I thought rule of thumb was 1" of fish per gallon, in my case is all three grow to a foot then that is 36" of fish in 55g of water. Also yes I am using test strips and the nitrates are definitely not 100, the test strip says 30 maybe 40 tops. Also are water changes of that size and frequency really necessary due the type of filtration i have??

1" per gallon rule is basically obsolete with the knowledge we posses these days. Oscars carry an enormous bio load (they take huge crap all the time). One oscar should be kept in a 75 gal by itself with great filtration. Test strips are notoriously inaccurate, i can assure you your nitrates are far higher than 40, the fact your are showing nitrite in an established tank is another indicator something is amiss with the water. Filtration converts ammonia to nitrite to nitrate, nitrates can only be removed via water change, 30ppm or less is the target..I'm not trying to be condescending or bash you, i actually want to see your oscars survive and thrive, it'd be in their best interest to to get a 90 gal tank or rehome. If you insist on keeping them the way the are than 2-50% ×) wc's a week and they might survive..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom