are there any other ways to lower ammonia besides water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tdukes22

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was wondering because i had my tank up for about a month and a half and i have about 14 or 15 fish in my tank i also have to filters if that helps the cause too but i just want to know is water changes the only thing i can do to lower the ammonia my ammonia is about .25 i believe after i did a 60-70% WATER CHANGE so if you are knowledgeable please help and thank you

It is not the only way, but it is the only effective way. There are things like zeolite that will absorb ammonia, but in the long run, it causes more issues than it helps. Water changes are going to be the best way to go. You'll never get 0ppm from doing water changes unless you change 100% of the water. What you need to do is keep doing 50-60% water changes if the ammonia gets above .25ppm. It'll cycle eventually, and you'll just need to do them every week or so depending on your test results.

Pwc's are it. Once the tank is cycled the ammonia will be 0 unless you are overstocked. If the fish have been in the tank 6 weeks it ought to be close to cycled. What size tank and what kind of fish? What are your readings for nitrite and nitrate?

Yea that's where my water is like .25 it's light a light green color

And my tank is a 55g I have 6 zebra danios 1 Molly 5 tetras n three platy ( but one is in my 14 because I think she is pregnant n my no2 n no3 are both at 0

Back
Top Bottom