Are these crypts planted deep enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello again! This is my first time planting crypts, and I've read not to bury them too deep with a bit of the crown sticking out? I've attached a pic, should I bury these some more???ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398214168.236298.jpg

Thanks...kind of a trivial question but I want them to be healthy! :)

Thanks again! Do you know if these guys would accept Flourish Excel? I just got some but thought about waiting until they got used to their new home to try it. Any suggestions? I also dose with API Leaf Zone for fert. (Low/medium light)

The liquid ferts would help but crypts really appreciate substrate feeding via root tabs, root pellets, etc. I have two types (C. wendtii red, C. undulata) and only feed with root pellets. That tank has shrimp so I am careful with what I add to it. It is low light (dual T5 normal output) and the crypts are doing fine. They are filling out and sending out runners. I have grown the C. wendtii under stronger light and liquid ferts and found that the crypts grew much larger but the color and overall shape of the plants were less than desirable.
Both liquid ferts you listed are good. Not sure how much the plants will utilize since they are new. Root tabs/pellets are usually available at most LFSs; better price online. I use AquaFertz pellets from AquariumPlants.com; 75 pellets for ~$10.

Hi Hart, Hi David!
+1 on the root tabs Fresh mentions. He is my plant tab, 20Long guru. lol
I use Glut (Excel) on my 16g tank that has had heavy load of crypt wendi for a year now. They love it. Just start at a low dose for a week or two to let them get used to it. (1ml per 10g) With low/med light they should need no more than 1ml per 5 gal permanently. Hope this helps, OS.

Thanks everyone for your info! I have experienced some crypt "melt" since planting, but it's not too bad and from what I've read they usually come back.

I have some water sprite and anacharis as well, have you dosed those with excel before? Some say do, and some don't...

Ya I heard about that...I just bought some on a whim for $1.98 but may decide to put it in my little 5 gallon in my office ;)

Back
Top Bottom