Are these wood safe for the aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi...I do not know much about fish and aquariums as I am just learning...however...I have been in the fresh and dried flower business for over 15 years and I know that there are many toxic chemicals used in drying and preserving branches etc. Often, they use chemical defoliant to strip the foliage without the labor. I'm not saying these are not safe...I just do not think I would take the chance. :)

Manzanita, and Cholla are used in alot of aquariums. As for the rest I don't know.

Natural untreated cholla branches gathered from California desert.
Sandblasted Sierra Manzanita Branches

Thank u all!! So when it says sanblasted or sanded manzanita wood is it ok to use it??

I'm using gathered dead Manzanita branches. They need to be soaked before they sink. But they came without bark, so sandblasting is NOT needed.

I got some of mine via Plantbrain on TPT aka Tom Barr. He sells often thru that forum.

This is one piece I got from him.
( I attached the Moss and Narrow Leaf Java Fern)
image-2324210171.jpg

You can get Nano twigs to major stumps through other hobbyists ;)

Didn't mean to imply that sand blasting was needed, just that the wood on that site was sand blasted not chemically treated.

Thank u and btw thats is some good looking wood cause im looking pieces like that!! Here i only found malasyan wood!! Very common i think!

If you buy pieces meant for display be sure they are not coated with anything and I would stay away from the red ones.

Is this safe for the aquarium?? I bought them at TJ max here in puerto rico!!

Attachments

• image-2953443535.jpg
    image-2953443535.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2515655386.jpg
    image-2515655386.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 84
angelvelez87 said:
Is this safe for the aquarium?? I bought them at TJ max here in puerto rico!!

Manzanita should be ok. No clear coat. Soak it.
You can test your tap water and then test your soak water after 48hrs and see if it changes the water test.

These are the tests!!

And how it should look!!

Attachments

• image-2209771568.jpg
    image-2209771568.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1222425345.jpg
    image-1222425345.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1112524916.jpg
    image-1112524916.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3264058071.jpg
    image-3264058071.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 67
by the looks of it in the first pic it looks like it's been sandblasted and not coated. Looks like it would work great for you.

Thank you!! I really appreciate you both for answering!! I'll keep you posted on my new project!!

Back
Top Bottom