Arrow Crab - I did the impulse thing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eardison

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After discussing the temperament of arrow crabs with the associate at my LFS, I decided to give one a try. They’re pretty cool looking, and the guy at the LFS assured me he would be kind to his tankmates, which includes the following

Blue damsel
Yellow damsel
Tomato Clown
Feather duster
Hermits
Serpent star
Snails

Now I’m doing what I normally do before making any livestock purchases (check out the forums and research online) and I'm getting the impression that this little bugger may not be such a good idea. Although I've seen him do nothing but pick at my LR and generally perform cleaning duties, I'm nervous. I want everything in my tank to be as docile as possible. I plan on adding a few corals and a cleaner shrimp in a few months.

Take him back?

Give him a chance to prove his worthiness?

Anyone with Arrow crab experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I dont have any experience... but I would give him a chance. Some Pygmy Angelfish nip at corals and some dont. Same goes with inverts some times. Hope this helps!

These are known coral munchers and not considered reef-safe. I would not irsk it once you get corals.

I know for a fact they eat Xenia, and watch your snails and hermits

OK all. I guess he goes back to Jail. I always chuckle to myself when I see people posting questions about issues that have come about from impulse buying, and here I did exactly that!

Thanks for the advice!

I did the same thing and I know better also. I impulse bought a horseshoe crab this weekend and had to return him after checking it out here. The LFS I was at won't give refunds though so I blew $20. I had nowhere else for it to go so they got my money and their crab back(won't go back there though). I really need to start taking my laptop with me to the store to research before I buy anything.

Live and learn.

localhost. $20 for a horseshoe crab :?: My LFS sells them for $3.50 I put one in my main to keep the sand stirred until I got everything running "smooth" He now lives in the refugium. Keeps the sand stirred really well.

AAAARRG!!! I got home from work an hour ago... I found three or four feathers around my duster's tube, a sneaky lil arrow crab standing there trying to look innocent 8) and no sign of the worm! Actually, I think I can see him way down in the tube in a somewhat translucent area. I kinda buried him in the sand partially under a rock (after removing the lil thug of course). I hope he (she?) will be ok. I should have taken him out last night but I had nowhere to put him!

Off to the lfs to bring the arrow back. I called and found out they will give me store credit on livestock at the time I bring him back but no credit to use at a later time.

Any ideas for a new, docile scavenger type tank mate? No more crabs, my blue legged hermits are enough. Cleaner shrimp maybe?

Cleaner shrimp are awesome choices. Peppermint shrimp are nice too but not as out in the open as the cleaners.

They will eat anything that they can get their hands on, especially other shrimp. Great cleaners though, and they are awesome looking.

Most topics Ive seen seem to imply they should be pretty safe. They keep them with the feathers in the LFS, and I've seen pictures of them in many reef tanks. They look great, I've been eyeing them for some time. No plans for more shrimp, so thats not a factor for me.

Unless I get a big STOP in the next hour, I'm going to pick him up.. They have a beautiful 3 inch one, or at least they did. Going to read a little more first though.

I have 10 cleaners in my tank along with 12 peppermint shrimp. The only problem I have had is I now have to feed some corals with a cut off bottle over them. As soon as food hits the water they come running.

If you invest any money into inverts I would get a Cleaner. I have 2 and they do wonders

I'm back with my shrimp and it's floating around the tank getting used to the surroundings. Once I set her - him free, I'll post a pic. If anyone wants to see. I'm such a proud new papa.. Heh..

Now, I just hope the feather duster comes out.

Still workin on him. I have no drip set up so I'm adding about 1/4 cup - or a little less of water every 15 mins. He has been in there for a while now.. Ill let him go in a few. An hour should be good.

Of course the LFS said 15 mins, and acted all concerned about the crab from hell... One thing I didnt expect was they credited me for both the arrow and the feather duster, even though I didnt bring the feather duster back! I was really surprised 8O . I have a new little piece of LR sitting in a bucket with a PH now...

BTW, the feather duster has come out. He is ok.. A few broken "feathers" but he looks good.

Thanks for the help guys-gals.

You folks have it so good.. we pay minimum $7-10 for a damn hermit crab.. and those are small ones too!

OK.. No pics.. Can't get clear ones... Stupid autofocus camera focuses on the glass.

Anyway, all is well.. The shrimp IS a little aggressive, but everyone seems to be getting along fine.

I pd 8.99 for the CB Shrimp and 5.99 for the feather duster - Just for reference Flanque.

Back
Top Bottom