Artificial shrimp egg hatching attempt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fullmoonnight

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I recently got into the shrimp game and got some ghost shrimp from petsmart. I really like them it's so fun to see them eating things. I had gotten about 6 of them 2 weeks ago and one died on the night of and 3 more died from molting. Leaving me with two. Then my mom went out and got me some more shrimp on Friday because they're a new shipment and lots if them are carrying eggs! One of them died on the night of in the q-tank and I felt so bad for all the little eggs it was carrying.
Then I recalled an article I read about artificially hatching eggs and I thought I would give it a go. It was kinda disturbing ripping eggs off a corpse really... My little brother and uncle thought it was pretty gross so I stood in the basement over the turtle tank and worked away using toothpicks. One to pry the eggs off and the other to hold the body in place while constantly saying " sorry shrimp, I'm just going to try and help your babies okay?" lol. This is going to be a journal of my attempt. I don't know if it'll work or not but it doesn't hurt to try. Is there anything else I can try to do to help the eggs other than water changes? How long do you think it'll be before they're supposed to hatch? They have a little set of eyes already.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130818_172837.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130818_172837.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 120
  • ForumRunner_20130818_172854.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130818_172854.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 117
  • ForumRunner_20130818_172922.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130818_172922.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 121
I don't know much about that whole shrimp thing, but I'm definitely interested now lol. Keep updating! And good luck!

To the best of my knowledge that method only really work with Caradina and Neocaradina shrimp not shrimp that have a free swimming larval stage.

Yea I don't think it worked the eggs are turning white. That's too bad. :/

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130819_114309.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130819_114309.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 96
What u have to do is have a strong current to keep them moving and this will prevent fungus from growing that is the most important thing.

But besides that good luck and I will be getting some RCS which is getting me really pumped up

Ghost shrimp eggs should float. If they don't they are not viable, I am sorry to say. They float and hatch soon after reaching the surface, which is the larval stage. They are called zoeys at this stage. They morph into shrimplets about four or five days later.

Unless she was ready to let them go right before she died, they weren't ready to hatch, sadly. Typically, by the time they are ready to let them go, they are low down on the swimmerets, looking as though they are going to fall off, which is pretty much what happens. If they are still in the belly or high underneath, they're too young.

But kudos for trying, that's pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom