ashamed of lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've recently seen a new painted fish on the market, molly's. They have purple/green strips or spots on them. Pretty obvious it isn't natural.

Well, i work at a pet store here in CT and we stock painted fish as well. Most of the seasoned aquarists there hate them including myself. The kids love the painted ones though, glassfish especially.

I dont see it wrong to take care of the fish once they've been injected.. there isnt much we can do to stop it, but I like to think I can help the little guys find a good home at the very least.

Business is business to a certain degree.. I still feel bad for them though.

I compare this to vegetarians complaining that we eat cows, its gonna happen as the market will support it. I think so long as people take care of the fish is all that matters. I dont believe in making fish look as people want them to, but the fact remains people will pay for it, and so long as people will pay the practice will happen. I fault the consumer more than the LFS, the LFS should know better but honestly they are out to make money as any small business owner is out to do.

I wont buy painted fish, but i wont boycott a LFS for selling them. I will however try to educate those that i see looking at them whether or not they listen is up to them.

-Pleco

AquaJoe:

You get very personal for a post which you claim is just telling a guy he was off-topic. There must be something else you're not mentioning about his comments which upset you, because unless you're a psychopath, it doesn't make sense for you to blast him like that just for being off-topic.

After all, the real problem with being off-topic that it mucks up a thread with irrelevant comments. You, however, made a post five times longer than anything else in this thread just to tell someone they were off-topic. Now you are the one mucking up the thread.

Regardless, physicsdude wasn't even off-topic. Encouraging people to look at the big picture with regard to the topic of the thread can't possibly be off-topic.

Maybe some examples will help. If I sprained my ankle and started whining to quadriplegics about it, would it be off-topic for you to tell me to get some perspective? What if I had a big zit on the end of my nose and decided to go visit the burn ward of the local hospital and complain about my skin problems? Would explaining things to me be off-topic? How so?

What physicsdude said was, "Come on guys, get a little perspective before you get all worked up about painted fish." He said it clearly, and it certainly didn't seem rude to me. Then plecoperson said that physicsdude doesn't need to worry and that people are getting worked up because this is an aquarium forum and that's what the thread is about. Seems like everybody's being perfectly reasonable here.

If you want to complain about physicsdude's post, you could say that his comparison isn't valid. Nobody here is claiming that they spend hours of their time protesting for fish rights. Most of us just mention it when it's convenient, usually just informing people that the fish aren't natural and perhaps explaining the dying process. It's just doing what you can to inform, which certainly isn't wasting time that we would otherwise spend helping the homeless or cancer stricken.

AquaJoe said:
If you wish to discuss this with me further physicsdude, or anyone for that matter, please PM me. I would rather not turn this sad thread into a horrible argument or debate.

I can't imagine what you were trying to do other than start a debate. If that wasn't your intention, you would've just PM'd physicsdude in the first place, not tried your hardest to trash him publicly. It's immature and hypocritical to add the, "Don't respond! I need the final word!" bit.

Tostata;

I never once said "Don't respond! I need the final word!".

If you read my post you will see that what I in fact did say was "If you wish to discuss this with me further physicsdude, or anyone for that matter, please PM me. I would rather not turn this sad thread into a horrible argument or debate.".

I guess you must have missed that entire paragraph.

That being said, are you not contradicting your own purpose by even making this post? Moreover, assuming you actually read my entire message, why did you not PM me if you had an issue? Like I had previously said, I would rather not turn this thread in to an argument.

Furthermore, physicsdude and I have already resolved this issue via private messages. Why you are concerned about this is beyond me, but in any event the appropriate measures would have been to contact me via a PM. Since you did not I guess I will have to again make it clear that if you have a personal issue with me then contact me via PM so we can handle it.

In addition, I would like to clear up a few things for other people who have been exposed to your post: I did not publicly trash anyone, I expressed that I was personally offended by someone's post. Second, I said nothing about having any last words. That comment was solely manufactured by Tostada to suit their personal position.

All that being said, I will be anticipating your PM.

By the way, thanks for contacting me privately and clearing the air physicsdude.

Joe

So, I have a kinda related query. I see a lot of LFS that are stocking fish in tanks far too small for them (e.g. a silver arowana in a 2' tank etc). I know the argument is that it's only temporary accommodation until the fish are bought, but what if they're not? Taking the arowana as a case in point: if you go back to the store a week or two later and it's still there, do you think that it's appropriate to say something, or just hope for the best?

I know LFS have to make their money and they have finite space, but some owners could do with ensuring a buyer is ready (and paid a deposit) for fish like that before ordering them in....

wdyt?

but I know i personnally wouldnt drop $100 on an arwana or discus before I got to watch it, see it eat and see how it swims. I would never put a down payment on a fish I had not seen, its sad but its true you cant trust people and its very possible someone might try to screw you on a crappy fish.

No quarrel with any one of you. I will not refute on point by point basis any of your statements, as there would be no end to that line. Frankly, I think that my words did have the undesired effect of quarrelling with an uneloqeunt messenger. However, as I have made a concilatory pm to aquajoe, I feel the matter is closed.
Good point on the arrowana. Its really cruel to the fish to put them in a small tank like a 10 gallon when their children. I saw a redtail catfish turned in by its owner at pet store. The fish's growth was stunted- it was disproportianately wider than longer, as a consequence of it, a 12" fish, being in a 20 gallon high aquarium! That was horrible, but ppl do that cause they want to showboat it to others. That's why they sell baby redtail cats and baby arrowanas, most with their egg sak still attahced, at 2" for 20 dollars each. I used to work at a pet store that sold these fish regularly, despite my objections. Yet, they sold them due to the high profit margin.

AquaJoe said:
Tostata;

I never once said "Don't respond! I need the final word!".

What's the difference? You started an argument by publicly criticizing someone (nevermind that your criticism was questionable) then told people not to continue it.

Given your statements, it was hypocritical for you to respond to me except by PM, but you couldn't do that because you needed the final word.

He responded via pm because other people are tired of hearing this mess. Stay on topic or leave the thread.

Hara said:
He responded via pm because other people are tired of hearing this mess. Stay on topic or leave the thread.

Thanks Hara. I would prefer people contact me via PM to discuss these matters.

Annnnnnnyywaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.............

How many people's LFSs sell such fish as the Iridescent Shark Catfish which, in my opinion, has no business ever being kept in home aquaria? I have been at WalMart all to many times shaking my head in the fish department (what I do best) as people buy these fish thinking they are cute little "sharks".

I am guilty of this myself. I purchased two of them prior to even thinking about doing any research on the subject of stocking my tank. In fact, if I remember correctly, what made me join this forum was that I thought Bruce (the elder of the pair) was sick and going to die. It was around that time that I discovered I really made a big mistake in getting an ID Shark. Once he got better (turns out he was just really really scared and not moving -for three weeks) I made mistake number two and bought him a friend. Niles, my second ID Shark, is now the same size as Bruce.

My philosophy, and the same applies to a hypothetical situation in which I purchased dyed fish, is that I purchased these animals and now their lives are in my hands so I had better do everything in my power to either get them back to Asia (where they are native) or make the necessary provisions in order to facilitate a comfortable stay with me (which is what I have done so far).

Anyway sorry to go off on a tangent like that. I could talk about Bruce and Niles for eternity I'm sure.

What fish has everyone else seen at their LFS that have no business being kept in home aquaria? Assuming you don't have a 50,000 gallon aquarium :p

Best,
Joe

My philosophy, and the same applies to a hypothetical situation in which I purchased dyed fish, is that I purchased these animals and now their lives are in my hands so I had better do everything in my power to either get them back to Asia (where they are native) or make the necessary provisions in order to facilitate a comfortable stay with me (which is what I have done so far).

Absolutely-I wish more thought the way you do!

My list of don't sells:

- "Common" pl*cos
- Bala sharks
- Silver dollars
- Tinfoil barbs
- And I second the "goldfish" vote

Well, asside from my Betta and two loaches, it looks I bought every fish I should not have :oops:

At least I am going to give them the best life I can, poor little buggers.

Joe

plecoperson said:
My list of don't sells:

- "Common" pl*cos
- Bala sharks
- Silver dollars
- Tinfoil barbs

I guess the humour is lost on me...you were joking right? :D What's wrong with these fish (just you don't like em?)?

i once bought a id shark the lfs said it would only grow to 3 inches this was before research it the started acted wierd and not doing much and i figured out it grew to 3' and took it back and it ate 2 neon tetras. but i also agree with plecoperson and fishypeanut.i also tried to inform peaple at the lfs good thing noone that came in even looked at the fish they passed right by them.

I guess the humour is lost on me...you were joking right? What's wrong with these fish (just you don't like em?)?

No humor. I love all these fish, and have a 12" common to show for it. They are great-looking fish, they just get far to large for most aquaria, are frequently sold at small size, and most people can't accomodate them as they grow.

Absolutely no negative intent to those who keep them, I just don't think most people who keep tropical fish know what they're getting into or are as dedicated as AquaJoe, once they find out, to making sure they are taken care of.

(I got the pl*co, for instance, from someone keeping it in a 20 gallon tank)

plecoperson said:

Absolutely-I wish more thought the way you do!

My list of don't sells:

- "Common" pl*cos
- Bala sharks
- Silver dollars
- Tinfoil barbs

I think they should be able to sell these fish but must be more stringent on who they go to.
They should at least be asking what are the dimensions of the tank that the fish would go in. Also, which kinds of fish and how many are in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom