Astrea snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have a 55gal tank and I am thinking about getting a clean up crew. Is it true that Astreas die if they topple over? I want to start off with 12 Astreas and go from there.

yes, they can't right themselves if they fall off the rocks. They can sit like that for a while but will eventually die, or most likely get eaten by a fish or crab. It does happen occasionally but I have a bunch of them and I've maybe had to rescue one 5 or 6 times in the last year.

I got twelve of them and they were all dead within a few days. They're stupid, cannot hold onto rocks and just topple over.

I'd love to know how people keep theirs alive and upright because I've had nothing but disaster.

Hmm. I've lost a few as well, but most of mine are still alive and I've had them for years. If they are healthy, they should attach to the glass very firmly and will usually only end up knocked over if something irritates them. Atleast in my experience.

If I am not mistaken, Trochus can right themselves more often than Astrea; although, they do cost a bit more. Regular aquarium observations should prevent any snails from remaining upside down for a lengthy time.

My problem is when i travel and they end upside then its all over.

Reefing budgets do not allow us to travel, you should know this!! :lol:

They are great for cleaning the glass among other things. I don't know a snail that cleans the glass more then they do. IMO they are worth the buy just for that reason. Yes you might have a couple that die but more often than not they remain upright and make a great addition to the clean-up crew. Actually, I've had more die due to attacks by Nassarius snails then anything else. I never see the Astreas on the sand and I believe the potential attacks by the Nassarius snails are the reason.

They charge crazy prices for them in AU.. in the order of $4 each. Way too expensive when they die on me.

flanque said:
They charge crazy prices for them in AU.. in the order of $4 each. Way too expensive when they die on me.
Wow! We can get them for 0.99 apiece (10 for 9.99) here in the states.

I am being charged $3 US here in the caribbean for one.

Wow that is expensive! I have some Astrea, and a lot of nassarius. I need to add a few more astreas to the system as they have been eaten by hermits or as said above found themselves upside-down.

mike3epanda said:
i got my trochus for $5.49 here in WA...
I was interested in those but I know I would have to give an arm and a leg for one.

IMO they do awesome... better than any other snails I got.... but I only have one cuz its too pricey

My LFS told me that they don't sell less than 12 snails.

wow... that's crazy... unless they are charging you $10 for all I wouldn't buy it for the price I got mine...

mike3epanda said:
wow... that's crazy... unless they are charging you $10 for all I wouldn't buy it for the price I got mine...
Nope $3US each.

o_O don't do it... that is rip off... try to buy some from craigslist or somewher online.. that is crazy

Back
Top Bottom