Auction Finds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Went to the local auction this afternoon and picked up a couple things. First was a mated pair of German Blue Rams. I was after Red Cockatoos but wasn't able to find any. So... I'm really happy with these guys, not dissapointed at all. I've admired stories and photos of the gbr's from members here for so long, figured i would join the club!
Second is a hillstream loach. It didn't catch my eye at first, but my wife pointed it out and really showed an interest in it, so home it came!
I'll have pics a little later, still getting everyone settled in.
Really impressed with the whole auction thing. I about jumped out of my skin when the first pair of discus went for only 25$! Not only were the fish less expensive than the lfs, but they were much healthier looking. Also, it's nice to know i was supporting local aquarists and the local club. I highly recommend the auction experience to everyone!

Here's some pics! Can anyone sex the gbr's from either pic? I know the female typically has a pink belly, but i don't see a difference... One is larger than the other, and I was assured they were the same age.
The pic of the hillstream loach is a little blurry, sorry. He's a hard little booger to get a good pic of, but I'm on the lookout...
Roka-I couldn't believe how inexpensive full setups were! At one point, my wife took the bid paddle from me and told me to stop even thinking about it... lol!

If the same rule applies to Rams as it does Convicts the one on the right in the 1st pic is a Male. I can't see the finnage to well on the one on the left, need a new monitor, but it loks to be female.

I am 100% positive that the one on the right in both pics is a male. Males are larger and display more of a yellowish/gold color than the females. The females have a pinkish tint on their bellies (visible in your pics) that gets brighter when they are ready to spawn. If you look closely you can see the ovipositor of your female. She is probably getting ready to lay eggs within another 4 days or so. Either that or she recently laid them (before you got them).

The GBR's that you have look like they are really good quality. It seems like most GBR's at the LFS now have these long trailing fins that is caused from dilution of wild blood. I am curious as to how much they were LOL. You don't have to say if you don't want to or you can pm me if you want to. I am sure I have a ballpark figure. I don't need any more as I have 4 pairs of my own LOL.

I was almost going to stop by after work because I got out early, but then I checked the website that you gave me and it said something about having to register...was that just for the sellers? I have never been to an auction of any sort before so I am not really familiar with all of the rules/procedures. Now I wish that I would have if pairs of discus were only going for $25/pair!!! I was thinking about getting some but was unsure about it. I am sure there were some pretty cool fish there. About how many fish were there and when is the next auction? Spring, isn't it?

bs6749-yeah, registration was early for sellers. Buyers could sign up for a bid card anytime during the auction. They had quite a bit to choose from. If I remember correctly there were about 7 8ft tables all FULL of little bags of fish. Everything from very young to some nice matured specimens. Lots of plants too. Also, a couple tables full of various pieces of equipment. I picked my gbr's up for 16$... It was one of two mated pairs there, but there were also some bags of 4-5. Not much in the characin or rainbow dept., seemed to be mostly cichlids, livebearers, and cats.
I'm under the impression the auctions are bi-annual, so next spring sounds about right for the next one.

That is about what I thought you would have paid for them. Not bad at all considering they are a mated pair. I SHOULD have stopped by LOL.

Back
Top Bottom