austin, tx: stocked freshwater 24g nanocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strawtarget

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a nice turn-key ready-to-enjoy fish tank. A very well established tank... up and running for over a year.

I have a NanoCube 24 DX (24 gallon) tank with a low-height stand that I made myself. I converted the tank for freshwater use by swapping in a slower pump (MaxiJet 600 if I recall correctly) and reducing the light wattage (lamp and ballast) to a more freshwater-friendly level. (I have the original parts if you decide you want to switch back to saltwater later.) The main substrate is 3M color quartz sand (the rounded kind so the cory cat barbels don't erode). The planted area in the back is Eco-Complete.

The tank is stocked with Panda Corydoras Catfish, Neon Tetras, and Cherry Red Shrimp. All of them are very happy and healthy! The cory cats and the cherry red shrimp are so happy that they spawn and breed. The cory cats love to root around in the sand. Very cute.

There are two very nice pieces of african root driftwood, and all live plants. Forgive my spelling for the following... I am not a botanist. There are Anubias Nana and Anubias Coffeefolia in the foreground, a VERY happy aponogeton crispus (it produces flowers!), corkscrew val, water sprite, hornwort, moneywort, and maybe another plant or two. The plants grow fantastically well without any kind of crazy CO2 injection.

The only bad thing I can think of about the tank is that there is some kind of moss or algae or something that builds up in clumps on the plants. Once a week, while the water-change water is draining, I just scoop the clumps out. No big deal.

Another thing that I don't really consider "bad"... various life forms hitched a ride on the live plants. There are small brown snails, but the population is easily controlled by not overfeeding. There are also some planaria, but again, no big deal. They're CERTAINLY not overrunning the tank.

I have a Nimble Super magnetic aquarium cleaner, various cleaning supplies, water containers, buckets, filter floss, storage boxes, and all kinds of other supplies, too.

I want this tank to go to a good home. If you are an experienced aquarium keeper, please mention so in your email. If you are NOT an experienced aquarium keeper, still feel free to shoot me an email. I'll do my best to get you started and show you how to keep this tank rockin'.

One more thing. The tank is on the 2nd floor of the house. I can HELP YOU carry it downstairs, but even with most of the water drained, it's gonna take 2 of us at least. Bring help if you want. It couldn't hurt.

Reason for selling? Getting a divorce... moved out. :( I have no room for even this small tank in my apartment. I'll really miss it. It is a great tank and very relaxing.

Here's a good picture from December 2007 just before I added the shrimp...
http://boxybutgood.com/~jeff/pics/TankDec07/smooth.jpg

Here's a more recent, but crappier picture...
http://boxybutgood.com/~jeff/pics/scaled_tank.jpg

Asking $150. Local pickup only! I'm in the Lakeline area.

Last edited:
Price reduced: now $75! That's a heck of a deal. Seriously. I really hope this will go to someone who likes the plants and the fish. They're happy fish in a nice tank.

Again- local pickup only (NW Austin, TX).

Wish I was in TX. :) Sorry to hear of your pending loss (the soothing tank). Sure you can't mash it into your apt? Put it instead of a side table in the livingroom, bedroom, put it on the kitchen counter? I hate to see you lose it, you really seem to love it a lot. Anyway, if you really can't find space, then best wishes in finding it a new home.

Back
Top Bottom