Austrailian Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odessadude

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm testing the system to see how my picture cropped.

This photo was taken about two years ago. The tank is an 135 gallon Oceanic with overflows and a 75 gallon sump below. I run an Ehiem pump along with a 350 Magnum as well as the overflows packed with Bio-Balls. It may seem like overkill for a freshwater system, but it works really well! Java Ferns are the plant of choice and the fish do really well. I have bred many Australians with this system. I also have 3x33 gallon tanks and 2 standard 20 gallon tanks. It is a great hobby and I enjoy the challenge.

I would like to put about 100 Rummy-Nose Tetras in this tank for the schooling effect. I have since moved all of the fish out of this tank to others. Would Rummy-Nose be the best to school in a tank like this?

Thank you!

There are quite a few good schooling fish. I actually prefer White clouds. They have great color and they really school together well if you are going for that effect. They are a minnow from the mountains in china with red fins and opaque white bodies with some other colors lightly splashed in.

Im not exactly sure what kind of fish you have in there, or if you plan on keeping them there when you start a schooling fish, but I would certainly check compatability if thats the plan.

That tank looks fantastic btw, and the bar in front looks nice too. I love built in systems, too bad i live in an apartment, though it would be funny to see my landlords face when he sees a whole in the wall and an aquarium.

Anyway, by the way... welcome to AA

I had a piece of glass 117" by 27" for a few years in the basement and I knew I would put it to good use one day. A local glass shop was going to throw it away!

The fish are all Australian Rainbows with a lone Angel. The only problem with the tank in the wall, is that I have a stand sitting around taking up room. I thought about getting another tank and putting it on the stand, but once you have a tank in the wall, there is no going back.

You can do it in your apartment and I have seen it done with a false wall. A guy I knew used office dividers and created a tank in the wall with some ingenious wood work. I wish I would have taken a picture.

Here is the Bar shot photo. This tank is in my basement. Building the stand and the wall was easy. For me, it was a dream come true. I always wanted a tank in the wall. I will take some pictures and share the back side of the tank, for it looks as good if not better then the front. I will post them tomorrow.

Very nice! I love the tank behind the bar...it looks so cool!

I would definitely love to see a huge school of Rummynose tetras. They are a great schooling fish and are so pretty! I have only 4 in my 55g and they are together all the time....and my other tetras aren't. They are one of the best schooling fish IMO. If you like them and have access to a good stock, go for it. The effect would be awesome!

Here are some pictures of the back side of the 135 gallon tank. I used 2 by 4 construction for the frame along with 3/4 inch CD plywood for the top. The sides and sump cover is Lauan cabinet backing. After I framed it and put the tank together and added the fish, I ran across a stainless steel shelve. I basically trimmed the whole back side of the system around this shelve.

I am a little disappointed in how my light came out, although I am designing a new one.

Allot of people come over and think I have thousands of dollars invested in this system, but I don't. I bought the tank, stand and canopy all for $600.00 locally. The guy also threw in the 75 gallon sump, the Ehiem filter and all kinds of other stuff to go along with it. I dont use the stand or canopy, but will have it if I find another cheap tank.

I have less then $100.00 in wood, bought the Magnum for $89.00 mail order and was given the bar glass and the SS shelve. The pvc pipe cost around $25.00. The trim on the frame ran around $50.00 and I was very careful not to make a bad cut. The wood is Poplar.

To make a long story short, this system cost less then $1000.00 and 80 hours of my labor, but it was all worth it!

That looks great, I'm workig a new home and i have started work on a 9' x 3.5' wide x4' deep wall unit. I'm laying it to the right of a fire place about 15 feet awy so the heat doesn't get to the tank and I'm going to set it at eye level when setting. Your right thou once you have one in the wall you wont want one any where else. And wlecome to AA for us tank freaks.

That tank is great! Ive recently got into conga tetras. Considering the size of your tank, i think they would go great in there. Great schooling fish, and such beautiful colours. Only the males look good, but the guy at the lfs suggested i buy some females to brighten the males up. Made sense and it worked.

I have a few rummy-Nose, but not enough to create a schooling effect. I think my pleco may be eating them....

In the tank off to the side or right of the main tank. I seen where you have the battries for back up in power outages. But what do you keep in it?

Off to the right of the tank is a sink. Under the tank to the right is a Magnum 350.

I did put a picture of my battery back up system on the Hurricane Season post on this thread. It consists of two 8D batteries, inverter, charger and other item which lasts for several weeks.

Take a look at that thread and if you cannot find it, I will e-mail you some pics.

odessadude said:
The only problem with the tank in the wall, is that I have a stand sitting around taking up room. I thought about getting another tank and putting it on the stand...

I like your thinking! An empty stand certainly justifies a new tank!

I love your entire set up. Not just the one in the wall but the whole deal. What do you breed (if you haven't answered that already)?

Back
Top Bottom