australian rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, so i was at my LFS today where i saw some very nice looking austrailian rainbows for more than $15-20. I went to wal-mart to see what i could rescue there, and saw that they had the same type of rainbows for only $1.95, they were very healthy looking too, i wish i had a big enough tank for them, i would have bought some. I just wanted to share the great deal i found, but wasn't able to take advantage of.

From the looks of things, this is probably one of the few times you did not give in to temptation. And from what I'm seeing, that was one of those rare opportunities of "accidently" buy up a bunch, overstock the tank and get another. :)

I was VERY tempted to buy some, but my only heated tank is a 5gal, and it is holding fry right now. I could have easily stuck a heater in my 10gal and hold them in threr until i could get my 20gal set up and cycled, but they woulden't be happy for long in a 20gal, would they? They also have some type of really cool cichlid there for 4bucks, the prices are so reasonable, and this is the first time i have gone in there and seen healthy fish. Any suggestions on what you think i should do?

rrrr,umm, ahh, I don't know what to do! Do you thin these things would be ok in a 20gal? I will do some reading up on them. I really want them, just, i want them to have a good life too, i have seen cichlids sold to people who were putting them in a fish bowl at walmart. I dunno what to do, it is driving me crazy!

Ok, then the answer is simple. You did the right thing from the beginning. Allowing our brains to make decisions, rather than the little MTS voice inside us, is a good thing too.

i "saved" 3 moonlight gouramis and 4 kissing gouramis from wal-mart. they were already healthy looking but i put them in a medicated tank when i got home, and have been satisifed ever since

i have noticed, no 2 walmarts have the same type of fish, the one near my has barely any, and one 20 mins from me is stocked with more exotic fish...

today there was not much of a selection, but sometimes, there is so much or a selection, that the tanks are filled so much that you cannot see the back of the tanks. They had a kissing gourami there for three dollars, that I was also tempted to buy. I would have bought all the fish if my whole house were one big aquarium(like in my dreams)lol. They also had a ton of otos that I was tempted to buy. They didn't have what i came for though, a dojo loach. They always have these for only 1.97! my favorite fish in the world, i love them!

You don't have a big enough tank for a kissing gourami either....good thing you didn't give in!

I believe Australian rainbows get around 3-4 inches....so a 20g won't work IMO. Rainbowfish are very active so bigger is better. I think a 40g long would be minimum.

yeah, i know, that was the only thing holding me back, i would hate to be cruel to fish, even if it was only for a while. I am glad i thought it through before. I should do that more often. At least the fish were healthy, and as long as they are going to a good home, thats all I care about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom