Auto doser advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert2oo1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright guys in heading only seas for 3 weeks in a few months and I have no one who can look after my tanks (I know scary right?) my Oscar tank should be fine and the new Ada setup will be majority low tech plants so that should also make it the 3 weeks of i reduce the lighting period and lean the ferts right back.

However my Dutch tank will struggle big time without ferts for 3 weeks so I'm looking into an auto doser.

Does anyone here use them? If so what type and where did u get canisters to hold the ferts?

Can I just use Coke bottles as the canisters?
I'm looking at the jebaco auto doser (nice and cheap compared to a Aqua medic system.

Any advice would be great!

Sorry mate, my auto-doser is the kids (about as expensive as well).

Haha I'll have to get into the wife to pop a few out then! They can be expensive. The ones I'm looking at are $100 (the auto doser not kids haha [emoji23]) then you need to get the cylinders for the fert mixes. I'm guessing u could just use Coke bottles and run the line into them and it would do the same thing but I like the idea of it looking "lab grade" considering it will be sitting next to the tank in full view.

Would be interested in which you end up going with Bert as just thinking I should check this out as well. Not sure if running CO2 on any with the auto-doser but that is one I've learnt to swap out before holidays.

Would be interested in which you end up going with Bert as just thinking I should check this out as well. Not sure if running CO2 on any with the auto-doser but that is one I've learnt to swap out before holidays.

I'll keep you posted [emoji106] I may just not dose for 3 weeks and save myself the money because to be honest I wouldn't use it when I'm at home. Seems a lot of money to spend just to keep the tank running while I'm away.

I think as long as I dimmed the lights right down and gave it a good dose of phosphate and potassium before I left it would almost last the distance with minimal dramas. Obviously I'd have some form of an algae issue when I got back but that's easy enough to fix. The fish would make enough nitrogen to keep the plants semi happy I'd think and the co2 would make the plants chew up any excess.

Won't help that by the time I leave my tank will be almost fully grown in lol

Back
Top Bottom