Autumnsky's Conversations in water keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Monthly update time.

Nothing much is going on.

Had yet another stall on home fix up work completion. This weekend looks good weather wise outside, I am feeling "under the weather" though. Will make more progress.

Still struggling over which tank to move the SW nano's into - will be checking out local listings this week and the Spring CAS Auction is 3/23/2019. Maybe something there.

Lengthy video of Gary Lange's fishroom.

Quite amazing how many Rainbow fish are, and will be available due to the help of this guy. And how many other beautiful Rainbow fish there are.

Fish Auction Confessions

Okay...went to the CAS spring auction and came home with so many treasures!

What budget? :oops:

A couple really good deals
12 or maybe an extra one - Congo Tetras Appx $45
Priced around these parts around $9 each at lfs. Going to the 72G as soon as I can add them in after QT.

6 Dwarf Pencil Fish Nannostomus marginatus $22 Been wanting these guys for awhile.

Plakat "Koi" or more what I think as marbled Betta $4 not sure how the color will develop. Some red spots and black and blue flecks, a bit of yellow. I was hoping I saw some orangey yellow. Probably going to live in the Paludarium.

A green and purple plating coral cute - 10.
Double Blue Scroll Chalice 6.
Purple and orange Lepestrea doesn't look like much yet 6

A 30G Aquaclear lightly used filter $8. with pre filter sponge.

Big bag of clean nice XL Indian Almond Leaves 15 for $12

100 Alder cones for $8
Like new Reptile rock heater 5.

A big bag of misc. RH and some MTS to feed the clown Loaches.

A bag of large 15 Blue Mystery Snails - shared 3 and adding them to a QT for now. $13

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$LOL

Since I was in the fish store end of town, I picked up 3 Pygmy Cories - 8.97, to be friends with the one loner in the Guppy wine glass.

And a potted plant I haven't ever seen before at lfs store and can't find the receipt with the name atm. It stays short 3-4" tall 1 inch oval leaves and is kind of a frosty green color.

A different store yielded a common Rock flower Anemone for 14.99. Green, white and tan.

Thinking I am missing something. Close enough for now.

Last edited:
But I am super happy with everything. Setting up a snail Crayfish tank with elevated hardness as we don't have much from the tap around here. PH 6 or less??? .and KH 0 and GH about 2 or 3.

Pencil fish are staying in group and swimming around the tank. It is basically a glob of moss and Java Fern on one side and the other side of the tank is a huge DW of Java Fern.

It it is the planted tank CaribSea Samurai Soil Freshwater Substrate which I never actually planted plants in. I would like to rescape the tank and see how it goes with the plants. It is the 12G Edge. Talked to a an aquarium friend with very good Red Cherry Shrimp and might get them for the tank in a month. After I recover from the auction budget buster day. The group will be the nano fish tank. After I get around to switching the saltwater I might use the 12G Mr Aqua for that.

Two big things.

I just bought this Orange Koi Galaxy or whatever crazy name they gave him
60074-albums14653-picture72024.jpg

A friend of mine has expressed an interest in Bettas and the other fish I got at the CAS auction will likely get a new home. In awhile.

The other really crazy thing is getting ready for summer pond/livestock tub. And I have bid on some blue Koi a couple other Koi and a crazy looking fancy GF. Doubtful I will get them. As they are pretty nice looking. And I am not willing to pay that much.

Is there a fish rehab?

Overall pretty darn happy about this orange Betta. This is one of the Betta colors on the "list". The plakat is the fin type I wanted. This fish was earlier imported from Thailand by the seller, and I didn't have to nurse him back to health (yet). Hoping he comes next week in good looking condition. He's coming from USA now.

Thinking that the tanks are filling back up. and I am liking the contents now.

The Koi Galaxy Orange Betta imported by a breeder to the USA from Thailand and bought by me was not Orange now...

Seller for sale pic

60074-albums14771-picture72024.jpg

This is Picasso
Now after 4 days of settling in
60074-albums14771-picture72045.jpg

60074-albums14771-picture72044.jpg

60074-albums14771-picture72046.jpg

Marble gene fish are constantly changing. I was hoping for changing towards the orange. Bummer.

Last edited:
Been doing some soul searching about the fish tanks.

This long pause on almost anything happening at my house due to the never ending remodel mess, has snowballed to the changing of a bunch of tanks.

I have done work and will on a total of 8 containers and tanks.

Plus need to condense water bowls/vases and containers of plants with a couple snails here and there. And at least one big brandy snifter with Planaria (still).

Back to the soul searching. I love almost everything about the fish and inverts and tanks. LOVE. Hate water changing in the large tanks. (need to find a solution, have been thinking about that for a couple years) :banghead:

At this point in life, I have so much to do which takes up time that subtracts the time from the tanks. So I am restructuring and re figuring all the tanks down. Finally, I think it has been 3 years coming. I will be at 5 tanks in 2 weeks plus the Thai Betta, which I explained isn't really like a tank...lol Then trying to get down one more, but will be going back to shrimp. So wiggling around will continue. I feel like it might be the Wine Glass coming down.

Then it also is a matter of what is soooo easy, Wine Glass is an easy tank, but one which wasn't really my vision. Making me torn over it still. And it has a decent population of Glass shrimp sold as Ghost shrimp. It is hard to see into and enjoy. Unless I sit on a stool and stare into it. Interesting but not relaxing.

Where it will be set at

72G Community with a Betta

12G Snail and Endler

6.5G Thai Betta with mixed snails friends

12G Micro fish Boraras Brigittae and for now the Nannostomus Marginatus might move to the 72G when the shrimp come.

Wine Glass

46G SW to be an 80G SW someday soon.

Crayfish is living in the QT tank 20G long. Which needs to be shut down.

Might switch the 12G nano fish to a 20G L and combine the snail and Endlers

I went from 6 down to 3 and reclaimed some of my life back. To simplify water changes I invested in a large 30 gallon food safe bin. Looks like a big white garbage can. I can make up all the water I need and get it to the right temp. I do this in a bathroom that is centrally located in the house. I bought 100 ft of 1/2 vinyl tubing. I didn’t need all of it. I siphon the water out of the tank down the shower or out to the garden. I use a pond pump in the bin to push water to the tank. I haven’t lugged a 5 gallon bucket in ages. When I am done I drain the tube and store it all in the garage. I put a sponge over the end of the tubing when I am not vacuuming anything to avoid siphoning out any critters.

Heading to the hardware store in a few, next to the snails store / you're smarter than me ;). Have been thinking of similar thing for awhile. Already have a new pump still unused :/ thanks for the kick in the pants. Er, mean encouragement! Lol.

I can use a Python hooked to the tap on the FX-5 for the 72G hose out to the garden. It does the flush out of the canister. Now with the 46G that means more work as there is a AquaClear 110 and not the FX-5.

In theory with a fairly low bioload on the SW shouldn't need too much water changes each week, maybe a 5G bucket worth (~4G amount as I slosh if it's too full). I think I have about 100 pounds of LR.

Had a couple bumps in the road and wasn't able to get the water change set up today.

Water safe container issue and not knowing if my 3/4" was for ID or OD. So since I didn't feel comfortable with the plastic container I had in mind initially. I am still checking.

TMaier - Which type of container did you use?

I was looking for a rolling trash can type and there is a slim sort of rectangle and then the janitor style with the brute type can and and rolling bottom.

Problem I do not think that the big huge round one will fit into my storage closet, but the narrow rectangle one seems the right shape for my space but only 23G (less for slosh room). Rubbermaid Slim Jim trolley can. And 20G seems like such a small amount of water.

Last edited:
Thank you! I will look into that, we also have a re-use seller of food grade, huge and other plastic containers for food manufacturing I think I have seen them, with barrel type containers too, haven't looked for awhile for anything like that.

I will check on the size too, if it would even work.

Found a container reseller and they have water barrels 55G for $20. That seems like a good size for water storage. Now wondering about RO water storage and also SW.

It's beginning to look like I need to build a water shed attached to the house for water storage now. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom