Awkward plant question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anubias, java fern, and java moss are probably the 3 plants that require the least amount of light of any you'll find. Don't expect to see any major growth with that lighting, but I'm certain those 3 plants would be fine in your tank. I wouldn't go crazy and dose ferts or anything. You get something off balance and you'll have a tank that looks like something out of a Mountain Dew commercial (ie green).

BTW, there is a lot involved in keeping driftwood. For instance it will change your water's pH. So make sure the fish you have can handle the lower pH. I'm not sure on how drastic the change to your pH will be so be careful. You don't want a quick drop in pH that may harm your fish. You may also experience a darkening of your water as the driftwood releases tannins. From what I've read it is harmless but can be annoying to some. Boiling of the driftwood is recommended to help eliminate the release of tannins. In fact, boiling is strongly recommended for any driftwood so as to remove any harmful impurities (someone correct me if I'm wrong about that last part). The last thing I have to offer is that not every piece of driftwood is suitable for a freshwater tank. You're going to have to do your homework before selecting your driftwood.

Boiling driftwood is something a lot of people do. I usually just run it through the dishwasher (without soap or dishes of course) if it hasn't been submerged in another tank. If it has, I just rinse it off.

The whole driftwood lowering pH thing is something I've never seen. I've had a lot of driftwood in my tanks, and my pH has never changed. I'm almost positive that tannins are what brings down the pH, which may or may not be the case, or it may be certain kinds of driftwood, but Mopani, malaysian, and sycamore sure dont.

I've definitely doing driftwood, and i've done my homework. Im getting Mopani driftwood, I'm going to scrub every nook and cranny with very hot water, and let it soak for a week. I like the Mopani because it's a hardwood and it sinks. After I soak it, I'm gonna put it in my ten gallon QT for a month and see what tannins it leaches. After that, I'm gonna put it in my 29 gallon, and deal with the tannins if there are any.

I boil mine, then put it in the tank of our toilet. Instant (clean) water change with every flush!

After a week, pull it out and put it near a sunny window or heater vent to dry out. Use the water from a PWC to resoak it (so it will sink) and you're set.

Sent from my Epic 4G

I'm a little confused. I've been interested in keeping discus and have read where they prefer lower pH (at least lower than what comes out of my tap). I know they are a lot of people that say that most discus sold today are tank bred and therefore can handle higher pH. What's got me confused is that everywhere I've seen that refers to naturally lowering your pH to accept discus indicate that driftwood is the best way. They don't say anything about the tannins lowering the pH, which I suspect would be temporary at best as eventually the tannins will disappear. I guess I just want to make sure I've not been led astray by those sources that indicate driftwood will lower pH.

I can't speak for others, but like I said, I've had a little driftwood and a lot of driftwood in my tanks, and my pH has stayed steady at 7.8 the entire time. The only time my pH has changed is when I started injecting co2.

mfdrookie516 said:
I can't speak for others, but like I said, I've had a little driftwood and a lot of driftwood in my tanks, and my pH has stayed steady at 7.8 the entire time. The only time my pH has changed is when I started injecting co2.

+1

I've heard the a bubbler will increase the pH. True, or not?

Sent from my Epic 4G

I boil mine, then put it in the tank of our toilet. Instant (clean) water change with every flush!

After a week, pull it out and put it near a sunny window or heater vent to dry out. Use the water from a PWC to resoak it (so it will sink) and you're set.

Sent from my Epic 4G
lol, im definitely gonna try that one!!! perfect!

Back
Top Bottom