baby black mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evman333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i went to to the pet store yesterday to buy a black molly to help cycle my tank, after watching a movie i noticed alot of lil mollies swimming around. I seperated them from the mom and put them in a seperate tank.

Any advice for raising them would be greatly appreciated :D

Just to make the flakes small so they will be easy to eat. It is a good thing that you separated the babies. The mom will eat them if she is full grown. She doesn't do it intentionally i don't think. Baby mollies are easy to take care of and shouldn't be much trouble. Good luck and congratulations. 8)

is this mollie birthing season? how many babies do you have?

Be careful to not overfeed. They should be fed a few times a day, rather than once a day. From my experience with cichlid fry, they will eat themselves silly and this may lead to bloating and blockage. Aside from flakes, try baby brine shrimp.

I don't have any right now. they can have babies every three weeks. even if you don't have a male. once she is fertilized she recives four to five pockets of sperm that are good up to a year. she can use them when ever she feels lik it.

This is relatively common for them to drop fry following the stress of being netted and moved to a new tank (certainly has happened to me!). If you are cycling a tank with the mother then it was best to remove the fry - they won't handle that too well. I never gave mine any special attention, in that I did not separate the fry from the rest of the tank inhabitants and did not feed them any differently than the rest of the fish, and I still have more black mollies than I know what to do with!

I have between 15 and 20 myself, from 2 different batches from the same mother.

I never did anything special, other than moved them into their own tank. Fed them once a day with Omega one, and filtered the tank with a Penguin Mini without a biowheel.

They thrive.

and on a sidenote, molly mommas will drop a fry, and turn right around and eat it. Sometimes its done to recover so much energy lost igving birth, Thats what I think anyways.

You got lucky. they can have more than eighty babies. I hope they are doing well. I hope everything is going okay with them and that the mohther isn't eating too many. Keep us posted. Thanks! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom