Baby Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skazi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My visiting mom spied a tiny baby platy hiding in my sword plant about 4 days ago. I noticed a lot of activity between a male and female platy leading up to this, but I had no idea she was pregnant. So, I bought a floating plastic cage the next day, and have the baby in there with a sword plantlet. I'm griding up flakes and giving them to him, which drives the other platys crazy seeing that food in there after they finish theirs :D

Anyways, when can I release the baby to the main tank? Searching, I found a few people saying "when he's big enough to not be eaten by the other fish". But, how big is that? He is currently about 1cm tip to tip, and I have 3 platys, 1 otto, and 5 cardinal tetras in the tank.

Since he showed up, the female platy has been getting a bigger tummy, so I hope more are on the way.

There are more on the way, I can almost guarantee that. :)

If it's really 1cm, then you should be ok. Just make sure to have some hiding places for the incoming babies. You may not be able to catch every one like you did for this one. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you have already lost one or two others that you never saw. The more plants, especially floating ones, the better, IME.

Welcome to the exciting world of fish husbandry!

Back
Top Bottom