Baby reef lobster? Good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Have had very bad experience with lobsters......... And saw this little guy on my gorgonian today. Will he eat coral? He was on the gorg...... But didn't seem like he was harming it. Baby shrimp? Idk what he is?!!!!????

Attachments

• image-168107313.jpg
    image-168107313.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 229
The pic looks better in my photos...... Let me try again.

Attachments

• image-763279905.jpg
    image-763279905.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 216
  • image-919775325.jpg
    image-919775325.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 206
  • image-73988996.jpg
    image-73988996.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 200
Definitely not a nudibranch. I let him down on the rock and saw claws and a lot of little legs.

No shrimp and I used to have a caribbean spiny lobster but he died. Last time I added rock was a long time..... I recently added a coral though.

That's probably where it came from. Gotta wonder if that's why he was on that coral.. was he eating it? I don't really think most lobsters are reef safe but not sure. Very interesting though. I'd keep an eye on it (if you can!) To see what it turns out to be. Gotta fuge? If so toss him in there.

Could be a pistol shrimp. There are other shrimp and lobsters that have one claw bigger than the other. In most cases they do. You'll find out if it starts snapping!

No way Chris! A pistol. Too funny because that's the shrimp we were arguing over. Get rid of it!!!'

Pistols arent bad Candice...... mantis shrimp are the one that shoot the bubble and smack things/spear. Remember?

O boy. Right again! But why are they called pistols if they don't shoot the bubbles? The pistols still smack and make those bubbles though right!? I have to look up mantis vs pistol. The mantis shoots the bubbles that reach the temperature of the sun for a second right? You know for the sake of my lack of knowledge on this topic I am strictly a cichlid enthusiast.

Jinxster373 said:
O boy. Right again! But why are they called pistols if they don't shoot the bubbles? The pistols still smack and make those bubbles though right!? I have to look up mantis vs pistol. The mantis shoots the bubbles that reach the temperature of the sun for a second right? You know for the sake of my lack of knowledge on this topic I am strictly a cichlid enthusiast.

Pistols do shoot the bubbles too, but won't kill everything in the tank, like mantis do a lot of times. And certain mantis can also spear things. Pistols will definitely grab a snail here and there, but if kept fed, won't cause too much trouble.

Yes. Pistols snap their claws together. They are called pistols for the sound they make by snapping their claw together. Mantis' make the sound by actually hitting things such as rocks and shells. Pistols are also usually docile to semi aggressive while mantis' will kill anything and everything.

Back
Top Bottom